Parametric Equations (Calc.2)

In summary, the conversation is about parametrizing a curve using two differentiable functions, x = x(t) and y = y(t), and finding the tangent line at the origin. The person asking for help is confused on how to approach the problem and is unsure how to turn the given function into two equations. They suggest trying to find the inverse of the function, but the other person corrects them by saying that they need to find y as a function of x, not the inverse.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Parametrize the curve by a pair of differentiable functions x = x(t), y = y(t) with [x '(t)]2 + [y '(t)]2≠0, then determine the tangent line at the origin.

y=2x^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't really understand what it's asking for. I assume it wants us to make 2 equations, x= something and y = something but I'm not quite sure how to get there. Then we can find the tangent line by taking the derivative.

Unfortunately I can't even show work on this problem since I don't even know where to start. Would appreciate any help on this question <3

Physics news on Phys.org
"Parametric equations" for a curve in the xy-plane are two equation x= f(t), y= g(t) such that, for any t, the corresponding point (x(t), y(t)) is a point on the curve. In particular, if the curve is given a function, y= F(x), we can just write x= t, y= F(t).

Hmmmm right... So I'm a bit confused on how we take our starting equation and turn it into two.

Would we just do

y=2x^3 and x = (y/2)^1/3 ?

Hmmmm right... So I'm a bit confused on how we take our starting equation and turn it into two.

Would we just do

y=2t^3 and x = (t/2)^1/3 ?

dolpho said:

Would we just do

y=2x^3 and x = (y/2)^1/3 ?

No. Here you are apparently finding the inverse of the function. The first equation has y as a function of x, and the second has x as a function of y.

Your first equation can be symbolized as y = f(x), and the second as x = f-1(y).
That's not what you need to do.

dolpho said:
Would we just do

y=2t^3 and x = (t/2)^1/3 ?

No. How about x = t? What would y be then, as a function of t?

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing curves and surfaces in mathematics. They involve expressing the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more parameters, rather than in terms of x and y.

2. How do you solve a system of parametric equations?

To solve a system of parametric equations, you need to eliminate the parameters by finding their values in terms of x and y. Then, you can substitute these values into one of the equations to solve for x or y and then use that value to solve for the other variable.

3. What is the difference between parametric and Cartesian equations?

The main difference between parametric and Cartesian equations is the way they represent curves and surfaces. Cartesian equations use x and y as variables, while parametric equations use one or more parameters to represent coordinates.

4. What are some real-life applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze motion of objects, trajectories, and complex shapes. They are also used in economics and statistics to represent relationships between variables.

5. How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, you can plot points by substituting different values for the parameter(s) and then connecting the points to create a curve or surface. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to graph the equations.