1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    I need to find a set of parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid. The hint is that I should review some trigonometric identities that involve differences of squares that equal 1.

The equation is:
    [tex]
    \frac{y^2}{2}- \frac{x^2}{4} - \frac{z^2}{9} = 1
    [/tex]

And what I have is

[tex]
    y= \sqrt{2}*sec(t)*sec(s)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    x=2*tan(t)*sec(s)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    z=3*tan(s)
    [/tex]

I am then suppose to write the maple code and send it to my instructor. The problem is that when I do the plot3d with those equations I get a strange looking thing that looks nothing like what a hyperbolic paraboloid should look like. I did the implicitplot3d for the equation to see what it should look like so I know I am way off.

Can anyone offer me any hints?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2
    My equations might be right but I have the wrong domain for s and t. This is the code
    Code (Text):

with(plots);

plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-4*Pi..4*Pi, s=-4*Pi..4*Pi);

And compare that with
    Code (Text):

restart; with(plots);

implicitplot3d(y^2/2-x^2/4-z^2/9=1, x=-10..10, y=-10..10, z=-10..10, grid=[20,20,20]);

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    bump...

Can anyone offer me any ideas?

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equations are correct. And you're right about having a problem with your domains. The sec and tan functions both have multiple vertical asymptotes in the interval [itex][-4\pi,4\pi][/itex], so you'll have to do something about that.

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5
    Thanks Mr. Mattson

I finally got the graphs to look reasonable. You're right about the asymptotes being the problem of course. If I go from -Pi/4 to Pi/4 for both s and t, things look good. To get both sheets I used the following code

Code (Text):

with(plots);  

surface1:=plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-P/4i..Pi/4, s=-Pi/4..Pi/4):  
    surface1:=plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), -sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-P/4i..Pi/4, s=-Pi/4..Pi/4):  
    display(surface1, surface2);  

But thanks again Tom...
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?