1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations for a loop

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    The following parametric equations trace out a loop
    [tex] x = 8 - 3/2t^2[/tex]
    [tex] y = -3/6t^3+3t+1[/tex]

1.) Find the [tex]t[/tex] values at which the curve intersects itself.
    wouldn't i just have to solve for t for one of the equaltion to find t? also, can you find the intersects using a TI-83 plus to check your answer?

[tex] 8 - 3/2t^2=0[/tex]
    [tex]3/2t^2=8[/tex]
    [tex]t^2=16/3[/tex]
    [tex]t = \pm\sqrt(16/3)[/tex] which is wrong

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2
    You can use the ti83 to find them.
    Put it in polar mode, enter your equations, and from there find intersects like you normally would.

4. Apr 3, 2005 #3
    there is no "intersect" function when i set it in parametic mode. How would i find the T values manually?

5. Apr 3, 2005 #4
    Well what you did was find the y intercepts of the graph. I looked in my calc book and can't find anything on intersections of parametric curves.

6. Apr 3, 2005 #5
    so how would i find the [tex]t[/tex] values?

7. Apr 3, 2005 #6

xanthym

Science Advisor

The curve will intersect itself when the same "x" and "y" values are produced by 2 different "t" values, say "t1" and "t2". Thus:

[tex] x \ = \ 8 \ - \ (3/2) t_{1}^{2} \ = \ 8 \ - \ (3/2)t_{2}^{2} [/tex]
    [tex] y \ = \ (-3/6) t_{1}^{3} \ + \ 3 t_{1} + 1 \ = \ (-3/6) t_{2}^{3} \ + \ 3 t_{2} + 1 [/tex]

Solve for DIFFERENT values of "t1" and "t2" to find the crossing point.
    (Solve the equations simultaneously. Both equations must be satisfied.)

~~

8. Apr 3, 2005 #7

xanthym

Science Advisor

The curve will intersect itself when the same "x" and "y" values are produced by 2 different "t" values, say "t1" and "t2". Thus:

[tex] x \ = \ 8 \ - \ (3/2) t_{1}^{2} \ = \ 8 \ - \ (3/2)t_{2}^{2} [/tex]

[tex] y \ = \ (-3/6) t_{1}^{3} \ + \ 3 t_{1} + 1 \ = \ (-3/6) t_{2}^{3} \ + \ 3 t_{2} + 1 [/tex]

Solve for DIFFERENT values of "t1" and "t2" to find the crossing point.
    (Solve the equations simultaneously. Both equations must be satisfied.)

Here are some HINTS:

[tex] \color{blue} a): \ \ \ \ \mathsf{ Eq \ for \ "x" \ indicates \ t_{1} = -t_{2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ Eq \ for \ "y" \ uses \ next \ hint } [/tex]

[tex] \color{blue} b): \ \ \ \ \frac { t_{1}^{3} \ - \ t_{2}^{3} } { t_{1} \ - \ t_{2} } \ = \ t_{1}^{2} \ + \ t_{1}t_{2} \ + \ t_{2}^{2} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ( t_{1} \ \ne \ t_{2} )[/tex]

[tex] \color{blue} c): \ \ \ \ (Answers) \ \longrightarrow \ \ (t_{1} \ = \ \sqrt{6}) \ \ and \ \ (t_{2} \ =\ -\sqrt{6}) [/tex]

~~

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?