1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations graphs

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5760/pqg.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i know that graph 2 is C
    also i know that A and G cant be any of those cuz its a circular shape..

the rest i have no idea how to do in order to get those crazy graphs

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1 and 3 are clearly not periodic- x and y both have an overall increase. That tells you that they are not simply trig functions and that excludes A, B, C, and G. They do appear to have a symmetry about the line y+ x= some number. D is not symmetric so that's excluded leaving only E and F which, because of the "t" added increase steadily as t increases. Subtracting off that "t" is the same as rotating the x= y= t line to the x-axis:
    E then becomes x= -2sin(t) and y= -2cos(t) while F becomes x= sin(3t) and y= sin(4t). It should be easy to see which of those 1 and 3 correspond to.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    so all you did is just taking the t's out of it??!! that makes sense..
    one thing i dont really get is how you match it to the graph..
    i mean, i could guess cuz i had 50/50 but my point is to understand it.. cuz what if i have like 20 graphs to match :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook