1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show (by eliminating the parameter) that the equations,[tex] x=x_{0}+(x_{1}-x_{0})t[/tex], [tex] y=y_{0}+(y_{1}-y_{0})t [/tex], represent the line passing through the points [tex] (x_{0},y_{0}),(x_{1},y_{1}) [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get [tex]t=\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{1}-x_{0}}=\frac{y-y_{0}}{y_{1}-y_{0}}[/tex]. And further I then get [tex]y=mx-mx_{0}+y_{0}[/tex], where, [tex] m=\frac{y_{1}-y_{0}}{x_{1}-x_{0}}[/tex]. I feel that this is not the answer to the question but if it isn't, I do not know what is? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2
    Perhaps writing:

[tex]y=mx-mx_{0}+y_{0}[/tex] as [tex]y-y_0 = m(x-x_0)[/tex], [tex]m = \frac{y_1-y_0}{x_1-x_0}[/tex] rings a bell?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  4. Aug 17, 2009 #3
    I am sure it should but it is not ringing any bell with me. It is a while since I did coordinate geometry. And it got nothing to do with distance; the distance formula is [tex] \sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex].

5. Aug 18, 2009 #4
    You have answered the question. Review the defination of the equation of a line through two points. You will see that with a little basic algebra your expression for t= can be rewritten in the form of that defination.

6. Aug 18, 2009 #5
    Look up point-slope form (I think that's what it's called...) and I think that you'll see it ;)

7. Aug 18, 2009 #6
    Thanks for the replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook