Solving Parametric Equations to Show Line Passing Through 2 Points

In summary, to show that the equations x=x_{0}+(x_{1}-x_{0})t and y=y_{0}+(y_{1}-y_{0})t represent the line passing through the points (x_{0},y_{0}) and (x_{1},y_{1}), we can eliminate the parameter t and rewrite the equations in the point-slope form y-y_0 = m(x-x_0), where m is the slope of the line. This can be achieved by using basic algebra and the definition of the equation of a line through two points.
John O' Meara

Homework Statement

Show (by eliminating the parameter) that the equations,[tex] x=x_{0}+(x_{1}-x_{0})t[/tex], [tex] y=y_{0}+(y_{1}-y_{0})t [/tex], represent the line passing through the points [tex] (x_{0},y_{0}),(x_{1},y_{1}) [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get [tex]t=\frac{x-x_{0}}{x_{1}-x_{0}}=\frac{y-y_{0}}{y_{1}-y_{0}}[/tex]. And further I then get [tex]y=mx-mx_{0}+y_{0}[/tex], where, [tex] m=\frac{y_{1}-y_{0}}{x_{1}-x_{0}}[/tex]. I feel that this is not the answer to the question but if it isn't, I do not know what is? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps writing:

[tex]y=mx-mx_{0}+y_{0}[/tex] as [tex]y-y_0 = m(x-x_0)[/tex], [tex]m = \frac{y_1-y_0}{x_1-x_0}[/tex] rings a bell?

Last edited:
I am sure it should but it is not ringing any bell with me. It is a while since I did coordinate geometry. And it got nothing to do with distance; the distance formula is [tex] \sqrt{x^2 +y^2}[/tex].

You have answered the question. Review the defination of the equation of a line through two points. You will see that with a little basic algebra your expression for t= can be rewritten in the form of that defination.

Look up point-slope form (I think that's what it's called...) and I think that you'll see it ;)

Thanks for the replies.

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to represent the coordinates of a point on a curve or line using one or more independent variables, typically denoted as t. They are often used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of an object or the relationship between variables.

2. How do you solve parametric equations?

To solve parametric equations, you must first eliminate the parameter t by finding an expression for it in terms of the other variables. Then, you can substitute this expression into the other equations to find the coordinates of the point(s) that satisfy the equations.

3. How do you show a line passing through two points using parametric equations?

To show a line passing through two points using parametric equations, you can set up two equations, one for the x-coordinate and one for the y-coordinate, using the given points as the values for t. Then, you can solve for t and substitute it into one of the equations to find the coordinates of the point(s) on the line.

4. Can parametric equations be used for curved lines?

Yes, parametric equations can be used for curved lines as well as straight lines. In this case, the equations may involve trigonometric functions or other mathematical operations to describe the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving parametric equations?

Solving parametric equations has many real-world applications, including predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the motion of a pendulum or other oscillating system, and designing curved roads or roller coasters. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations of moving objects.