1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Can someone help me get started on number one please????

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    It's not clear to me whether the wheel is rolling along the [tex]x[/tex]-axis, or rotating in place. Which is it?
  4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Well that's where i'm stuck. Since it says "rim of a wheel", my only guess is that it is moving along the x-axis. If this is the case, then it produces a cycloid right?
  5. Feb 9, 2010 #4
    Strictly speaking, a cycloid is produced only when the pen lies on the rim of the rolling wheel; our pen is in the interior.

If you suppose the wheel to be rolling, then decompose the motion of the pen into two parts, the motion of the wheel, and the motion of the pen about the wheel's hub.
  6. Feb 9, 2010 #5
    wow that's toughy
  7. Feb 9, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If P = (x,y) and if you call the center of the circle C you know that

[tex]\vec{OP}=\vec{OC} + \vec{CP}[/tex]

Since the wheel isn't slipping, you know the x coordinate of the center is the same as the arc of the wheel [itex]a\theta[/itex] and the y coordinate is a. So you can begin with

[tex]\langle x,y\rangle=\langle a\theta, a\rangle + \vec{CP}[/tex]

Now figure out the components of CP in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]. It isn't difficult, especially if you write them in terms of the standard polar angle at the center C and use that go get it in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook