Solving Parametric Equations: Eliminate t & Find x-y Cartesian Equation

In summary, the conversation is about eliminating the parameter t from the given parametric equations and finding a Cartesian equation in terms of x and y. The person is struggling with the problem and suggests using the fact that y=t^2 and x=yt. However, they are unsure of how to proceed and are stuck on finding a way to eliminate t from the equations. Another person suggests finding the inverse function t=t(x) and solving the cubic equation using Cardano's formulae, but this may not work in all cases.
wuffle
Hello forum! I have yet another question concerning calculus and the topic we're doing right now is extremely confusing for me.

Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter from the parametric equations x=3t/(1+t3), y=3t2/(1+t3), and hence find an Cartesian equation in x and y for this
curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ummm, i have no idea how to approach this question, i assume with parametric equation you need to express t in terms of y and plug in it another equation where x is defined... however, these two equations are pretty complicated and you can't really express t in terms of y and plug it in another equation, what do you do?

I notice the x and y equations are very similar except that y=t^2 in numerator and I am certain you should use that somehow...but I have no idea how

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So it's y(x) = x t(x), but t(x) can't be expressed in a simple manner, since it should come from a cubic.

dextercioby said:
So it's y(x) = x t(x), but t(x) can't be expressed in a simple manner, since it should come from a cubic.

I guess...

turns out my x=y^2 was wrong, now I am completely lost.

actually yeah, i just fond out y(x)=x * t(x), i just plugged in some numbers and it turned out y/x=t, what do i do with that?

Last edited:
Still can't get it.

I guess writing it as y(x)=xt(x) works but shouldn't we get rid of t in our equation?

You should get rid of t, of course, but it ain't easy. To get somewhere, you should first have x and y defined as functions of t on a certain interval, i.e. look for the inverse function t =t(x) only when this exists, i.e. on the set of x's on which the mapping is single valued and well-bahaved.

But then even this can't guarantee you that t=t(x) can be found without solving the cubic with Cardano's formulae.

1. How do you eliminate t from parametric equations?

To eliminate t from parametric equations, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve for one variable in terms of the other and substitute it into the other equation. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to cancel out one of the variables.

2. What are the steps for solving parametric equations?

The steps for solving parametric equations include: 1) Eliminating t to find a Cartesian equation, 2) Graphing the Cartesian equation, 3) Finding the x and y coordinates of the points of intersection, and 4) Substituting the x and y values into the original parametric equations to find the corresponding t values.

3. Can you use matrices to solve parametric equations?

Yes, you can use matrices to solve parametric equations. You can create a matrix with the coefficients of the variables and use Gaussian elimination to solve for the variables.

4. What is the significance of eliminating t in parametric equations?

Eliminating t in parametric equations allows you to find a Cartesian equation, which is a single equation in terms of x and y. This makes it easier to graph and analyze the equation, as well as find the coordinates of points of intersection with other equations.

5. Are there any special cases when solving parametric equations?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving parametric equations, such as when the equations have a horizontal or vertical asymptote, or when the equations result in a circle or ellipse. In these cases, the elimination method may not work and you may need to use other methods, such as trigonometric identities, to solve the equations.