1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    Hello forum! I have yet another question concerning calculus and the topic we're doing right now is extremely confusing for me.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Eliminate the parameter from the parametric equations x=3t/(1+t3), y=3t2/(1+t3), and hence find an Cartesian equation in x and y for this
    curve.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ummm, i have no idea how to approach this question, i assume with parametric equation you need to express t in terms of y and plug in it another equation where x is defined.... however, these two equations are pretty complicated and you cant really express t in terms of y and plug it in another equation, what do you do?

I notice the x and y equations are very similar except that y=t^2 in numerator and im certain you should use that somehow....but I have no idea how

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So it's y(x) = x t(x), but t(x) can't be expressed in a simple manner, since it should come from a cubic.

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    I guess...

turns out my x=y^2 was wrong, now im completely lost.

actually yeah, i just fond out y(x)=x * t(x), i just plugged in some numbers and it turned out y/x=t, what do i do with that?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. Dec 2, 2011 #4
    Still can't get it.

I guess writing it as y(x)=xt(x) works but shouldnt we get rid of t in our equation?

6. Dec 2, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should get rid of t, of course, but it ain't easy. To get somewhere, you should first have x and y defined as functions of t on a certain interval, i.e. look for the inverse function t =t(x) only when this exists, i.e. on the set of x's on which the mapping is single valued and well-bahaved.

But then even this can't guarantee you that t=t(x) can be found without solving the cubic with Cardano's formulae.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook