1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equations

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    need parametric equations to the tangent line at the point
    (cos 0pi/6, sin 0pi/6, 0pi/6) on the curve x = cost, y = sint, z = t

x(t) = ?

now from my understanding, i have to find the derivatives of x, y, and z right? and i did this... now alll i should do is plug in the x, y, z pts? and get the answers? i dont know if the 0pi/6 is correct cuz it was printed in w/ the problem... it could be pi/6 only and not 0pi/6.... could someone help maybe i did some kind of calculation error.... if possible explain thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2
    anyone know how to help here???
  4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    Think of your function as a basic space curve:
    [tex] \vec r\left( t \right) = \left\langle {\cos t,\sin t,t} \right\rangle [/tex]

[tex] \vec r\,'\left( t \right) = \left\langle { - \sin t,\cos t,1} \right\rangle [/tex]

Your point, [tex] \left( {1,0,0} \right) [/tex], can be represented by the positional vector [tex] \vec r \left( 0 \right) [/tex].

As you remember from earlier calculus, the tangent line will thus be parallel to
    [tex] \vec r \, ' \left( 0 \right) = \left\langle {0,1,1} \right\rangle [/tex]

Now that you have an equation, you can represent the tangent line as :smile: :
    [tex] \vec L\left( t \right) = \left\langle {1,0,0} \right\rangle + t\left\langle {0,1,1} \right\rangle \Rightarrow \vec L\left( t \right) = \left\langle {1,t,t} \right\rangle [/tex]

Or parametrically without vector notation:
    [tex] L\left( t \right) = \left\{ \begin{gathered}
    x = 1 \hfill \\
    y = z = t \hfill \\
    \end{gathered} \right\} [/tex]

:biggrin: Which basically says:
    [tex] x = 1 , \,y = z[/tex]

**Hope this helps :smile:
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  5. Sep 28, 2005 #4
    so what is x(t)=? y(t)=? z(t)=? cuz i see what u did but the computer say its wrong.... so i dontk now where it went wrong... i know what u did i did the same..
  6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    [tex] \left\{ \begin{gathered}
    x\left( t \right) = 1 \hfill \\
    y\left( t \right) = t \hfill \\
    z\left( t \right) = t \hfill \\
    \end{gathered} \right\} [/tex]

What's the problem?
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  7. Sep 28, 2005 #6
    well x(t) is not 1+t and same w/the others.. the computer say its wrong... thats what trippin me out
  8. Sep 28, 2005 #7
    wow now the y(t) and z(t) is right but the x(t) is still wrong...
  9. Sep 28, 2005 #8
    yay its just 1....
  10. Sep 28, 2005 #9
    thanks alot dude!! u helped alot i hate cal 3 its just hard for me for some reasons... its the vectors... i cant picture them...
  11. Sep 28, 2005 #10
    No problem :smile: Welcome to PF
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?