1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Expression

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    The lemniscate of Bernoulli is the curve that is the locus of points the product of whose distances from two fixed centres (called the foci) a distance of 2c apart is the cosntant [tex][c^2[/tex]. If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pmc, 0)[/tex] the Cartesian equation of the lemniscate is

[tex]([x-c]^2 + y^2)([x + c]^2 + y^2) = c^4[/tex]​

or

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2).[/tex]​

a) Show that the lemniscate of Bernoulli may be expressed parametrically by

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{\cost}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex], [tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]​

where [tex] t \epsilon[-\pi, \pi). [/tex] For t out of this interval the curve repeats on itself.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Should read "If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pm c, 0)[/tex]..."

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

and x(t) is missing a cos(t) on the numerator

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

that explains a lot

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

I'll fix the question

Modified quote:

note that the c is no longer under the square root

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

a) Just plug-in x=x(t) and y=y(t) into either of the given equations and show that it reduces to an identity and note that x(t) and y(t) are periodic functions, having as a funamental period [tex] t \in [-\pi, \pi). [/tex]. BTW, use \in rather than \epsilon for "element of".

8. Feb 26, 2006 #7
    Thanks very much for fixing my post and for your help! So i just plug

[tex] x = \sqrt{2c}\frac{cost}{1 + \sin^2t} and y = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t} [/tex] into the 2 equations?

9. Feb 26, 2006 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

That's right, as benorin posted. Also remember about the rt(2c). It should be rt(2)*c.

BTW, if you'ld like a challenge, try and find the slope of the curve at the origin :smile:

10. Feb 26, 2006 #9

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Just substituting in doesn't prove it though. It shows that any point of the form (x(t), y(t)) is on the lemniscate--it doesn't show that every point on the lemniscate is of the form (x(t), y(t)).

I'm not sure what the simplest way to show the latter is. One way I can think of is expanding out your second formula for the lemniscate, which will give you a quadratic equation in x^2. Solve that equation for x^2 and from that find how many solutions there are for a given y (which is the number of values of x that are possible for a given y). Then show that for a given y(t), the parametric equation yields the same number of x(t) as there are solutions x for that y.

11. Feb 27, 2006 #10
    Ok i'm still stuck on this and get the feeling im doing something silly and overcomplicated. I tried fitting those x and y values to the first equation and got:

[tex] ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} - c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) \times ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} + c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) [/tex]

So thismultiplies to:

[tex] (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{1 + \sin^2t} - c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) \times (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{(1 + \sin^2t)^2} + c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) [/tex]

I have to run, ill continue posting my calculations later, tho im sure its wrong already.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  12. Feb 27, 2006 #11
    Argh why is my latex code not working. There should be cos's and sin's on the top line of the first part

13. Feb 27, 2006 #12

benorin

Homework Helper

If you use \cos or \sin, either leave a space after them and before the arguement or use {} around the arguement, for example: \cos t = [tex]\cos t[/tex], but \cost = [tex]\cost[/tex]

14. Feb 27, 2006 #13

benorin

Homework Helper

Sometimes I get just a blank space where an unrecognized function is like \log is OK, but \Log is blank.

15. Feb 27, 2006 #14

benorin

Homework Helper

And, by the way, using the second form of the equation given is far easier...

16. Feb 27, 2006 #15

benorin

Homework Helper

Try the easier equation...

Let us substitute

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex]

[tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]

into

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2)[/tex]

to get

[tex]\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 + \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right] ^2 = 2c^2\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 - \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right][/tex]

now simplify to get something like 0=0 :smile:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  17. Feb 28, 2006 #16
    Im being really dumb here and just cannot simplify this. So far i get:

[tex] 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = 4c^4(\frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2}) [/tex]

This somehow equates

[tex] \frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = \frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2} ??? [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  18. Feb 28, 2006 #17
    ok i finally got this, il code it later when i get a chance, but thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?