Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Parametric Expression

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    The lemniscate of Bernoulli is the curve that is the locus of points the product of whose distances from two fixed centres (called the foci) a distance of 2c apart is the cosntant [tex][c^2[/tex]. If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pmc, 0)[/tex] the Cartesian equation of the lemniscate is

[tex]([x-c]^2 + y^2)([x + c]^2 + y^2) = c^4[/tex]​

or

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2).[/tex]​

a) Show that the lemniscate of Bernoulli may be expressed parametrically by

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{\cost}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex], [tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]​

where [tex] t \epsilon[-\pi, \pi). [/tex] For t out of this interval the curve repeats on itself.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Should read "If the foci have Cartesian coordinates [tex](\pm c, 0)[/tex]..."

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

and x(t) is missing a cos(t) on the numerator

5. Feb 25, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

that explains a lot

6. Feb 25, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

I'll fix the question

Modified quote:

note that the c is no longer under the square root

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  7. Feb 25, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

a) Just plug-in x=x(t) and y=y(t) into either of the given equations and show that it reduces to an identity and note that x(t) and y(t) are periodic functions, having as a funamental period [tex] t \in [-\pi, \pi). [/tex]. BTW, use \in rather than \epsilon for "element of".

8. Feb 26, 2006 #7
    Thanks very much for fixing my post and for your help! So i just plug

[tex] x = \sqrt{2c}\frac{cost}{1 + \sin^2t} and y = \sqrt{2c}\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t} [/tex] into the 2 equations?

9. Feb 26, 2006 #8

Fermat

Homework Helper

That's right, as benorin posted. Also remember about the rt(2c). It should be rt(2)*c.

BTW, if you'ld like a challenge, try and find the slope of the curve at the origin :smile:

10. Feb 26, 2006 #9

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Just substituting in doesn't prove it though. It shows that any point of the form (x(t), y(t)) is on the lemniscate--it doesn't show that every point on the lemniscate is of the form (x(t), y(t)).

I'm not sure what the simplest way to show the latter is. One way I can think of is expanding out your second formula for the lemniscate, which will give you a quadratic equation in x^2. Solve that equation for x^2 and from that find how many solutions there are for a given y (which is the number of values of x that are possible for a given y). Then show that for a given y(t), the parametric equation yields the same number of x(t) as there are solutions x for that y.

11. Feb 27, 2006 #10
    Ok i'm still stuck on this and get the feeling im doing something silly and overcomplicated. I tried fitting those x and y values to the first equation and got:

[tex] ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} - c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) \times ([\sqrt{2}c\frac{cost}{1 + sin^2t} + c]^2 + \sqrt{2}c\frac{costsint}{1 + sin^2t}) [/tex]

So thismultiplies to:

[tex] (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{1 + \sin^2t} - c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) \times (2c^2\frac{\cos^2t}{(1 + \sin^2t)^2} + c^2 + 2c^2\frac{\cos^2t\sin^2t}{(1 + sin^2t)^2}) [/tex]

I have to run, ill continue posting my calculations later, tho im sure its wrong already.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  12. Feb 27, 2006 #11
    Argh why is my latex code not working. There should be cos's and sin's on the top line of the first part

13. Feb 27, 2006 #12

benorin

Homework Helper

If you use \cos or \sin, either leave a space after them and before the arguement or use {} around the arguement, for example: \cos t = [tex]\cos t[/tex], but \cost = [tex]\cost[/tex]

14. Feb 27, 2006 #13

benorin

Homework Helper

Sometimes I get just a blank space where an unrecognized function is like \log is OK, but \Log is blank.

15. Feb 27, 2006 #14

benorin

Homework Helper

And, by the way, using the second form of the equation given is far easier...

16. Feb 27, 2006 #15

benorin

Homework Helper

Try the easier equation...

Let us substitute

[tex] x(t) = \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}[/tex]

[tex] y(t) = \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}[/tex]

into

[tex](x^2 + y^2)^2 = 2c^2(x^2 - y^2)[/tex]

to get

[tex]\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 + \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right] ^2 = 2c^2\left[\left( \sqrt{2}c \frac{\cos t}{1 + \sin^2t}\right) ^2 - \left( \sqrt{2}c\frac{\cos t \sin t}{1 + sin^2t}\right) ^2 \right][/tex]

now simplify to get something like 0=0 :smile:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  17. Feb 28, 2006 #16
    Im being really dumb here and just cannot simplify this. So far i get:

[tex] 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + 4c^4\frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = 4c^4(\frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2}) [/tex]

This somehow equates

[tex] \frac{\cos^4 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} + \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^4 t}{(1 + sin^2 t)^4} = \frac{cos^2 t}{(1 + \sin^2 t)^2} - \frac{\cos^4 t\sin^2 t}{(1 +sin^2 t)^2} ??? [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  18. Feb 28, 2006 #17
    ok i finally got this, il code it later when i get a chance, but thanks for your help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook