Finding Line Equation Passing Through Point P0 & Parallel to Line

In summary, to find the parametric equation of a line passing through a given point and parallel to a given line, you can extract the coordinates of a vector from the symmetric equations of the given line and use them to form the parametric equations. The direction of the line is determined by the coefficients in the symmetric equations.
lorik

Homework Statement

The problem is pretty simple but I seem to be missing something essential .Write parametric equation of line which passes through point P0(1,-1,-3) and is parallel with line (x+1)/1=(y+2)/4=(z-1)/0

Homework Equations

solutions are x=2t+1 ,y=4t-1,z=-3

The Attempt at a Solution

I would really really appreciate if u could simply say the magic word because this looks really easy but yet troubling to my brain I think I am tired !

Physics news on Phys.org
lorik said:

Homework Statement

The problem is pretty simple but I seem to be missing something essential .Write parametric equation of line which passes through point P0(1,-1,-3) and is parallel with line (x+1)/1=(y+2)/4=(z-1)/0

Homework Equations

solutions are x=2t+1 ,y=4t-1,z=-3

The Attempt at a Solution

I would really really appreciate if u could simply say the magic word because this looks really easy but yet troubling to my brain I think I am tired !

If you know a point on a line and a vector parallel to the line, can you get the parametric equations for the line?

You can extract the coordinates of a vector from the symmetric equations (x+1)/1=(y+2)/4=(z-1)/0; namely <1, 4, 0>.

That should get you started.

lorik said:
is parallel with line (x+1)/1=(y+2)/4=(z-1)/0

What is the direction of this line?

Mark44 said:
If you know a point on a line and a vector parallel to the line, can you get the parametric equations for the line?

You can extract the coordinates of a vector from the symmetric equations (x+1)/1=(y+2)/4=(z-1)/0; namely <1, 4, 0>.

That should get you started.

And you're Awesome !

In general, any line parallel to
[tex]\frac{x- x_0}{A}= \frac{y- y_0}{B}= \frac{z- z_0}{C}[/tex]

and passing through the point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is of the form
[tex]\frac{x-x_1}{A}= \frac{y- y_1}{B}= \frac{z- z_1}{C}[/tex]

That is, it is precisely the numbers A, B, C that determine the direction.

1. What is the general equation for a line passing through a point and parallel to another line?

The general equation for a line passing through a point (x0, y0) and parallel to a line with slope m can be written as y - y0 = m(x - x0).

2. How do you find the slope of a line parallel to a given line?

The slope of a line parallel to a given line is equal to the slope of the given line. This means that if the given line has a slope of m, the parallel line will also have a slope of m.

3. Can the line equation passing through a point and parallel to a line be written in standard form?

Yes, the line equation passing through a point and parallel to a line can be written in standard form, which is Ax + By = C. To convert from slope-intercept form (y = mx + b) to standard form, simply move the x term to the left side and combine like terms.

4. Is it possible for a line to be parallel to itself?

Yes, a line is always parallel to itself. This is because parallel lines have the same slope, and the slope of a line is constant throughout its entire length. Therefore, every point on the line will have the same slope, making it parallel to itself.

5. Can you find the line equation passing through a point and parallel to a vertical line?

No, it is not possible to find the line equation passing through a point and parallel to a vertical line. This is because a vertical line has an undefined slope, and a line parallel to it would also have an undefined slope. Therefore, the equation would be undefined and cannot be written in slope-intercept form.