Parametric plot / I just need to check my work (quick)

In summary: This has been really helpful.In summary, x(t) is the horizontal movement of the baseball, and y(t) is the vertical movement. The equation for x(t) is u\cos A t and for y(t) is u\sin A t.
DivGradCurl
[tex]x(t)= \left( u\cos A \right) t[/tex]

and

[tex]y(t)= \left( u\sin A \right) t - \frac{gt^2}{2} + h[/tex]

represent the horizontal and vertical coordinates of a batted or thrown baseball. [tex]A[/tex] is the initial angle of elevation and [tex]u[/tex] is the initial speed of the ball. I need to plot [tex]x(t)[/tex] and [tex]y(t)[/tex] parametrically. I'm given the following

[tex]u = 125 \mbox{ ft/s}[/tex]

[tex]g = 32 \mbox{ ft/s}^2[/tex]

[tex]h = 3 \mbox{ ft}[/tex]

[tex]A[/tex] may take several different values. Here follows the random choices I made and the corresponding graphs:

[tex]A=\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

http://img25.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc93ℑ=663_parametricplot_1.jpg

[tex]A=\frac{4\pi}{9}[/tex]

http://img6.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc123ℑ=26c_parametricplot_2.jpg

[tex]A=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

http://img6.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc123ℑ=26c_parametricplot_2.jpg

Could you please take a quick look at those graphs? In my opinion, there seems to be something wrong.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the images. You should be getting parabolas for the first two, and a vertical line for the third (since the ball goes straight up and down.)

NateTG said:
I can't see the images. You should be getting parabolas for the first two, and a vertical line for the third (since the ball goes straight up and down.)

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I actually tested the links, but a minute later they just wouldn't work. If you still want to take a quick look, I placed them at:

photos.yahoo.com/thiago_j

They're the only ones there. What you said about the shapes sound right to me, but that's not what I have. They are pretty much the same. I used the command (mathematica 5):

ParametricPlot[{x(t), y(t)}, {t, t_min, t_max}]

Anyway, that's definitely stange.

The discrepancy is probably because you cite g in feet per second squared and your initial velocity in meters per second. Your equation forms are correct.

Oh, no! That's a typo. u = 125 ft/s. The units are incorrect in my 1st post.

whozum said:
Your equation forms are correct.

I don't have a clue what else I could do.

I managed to get in my calculator what NateTG predicted: "getting parabolas for the first two, and a vertical line for the third". All I got to do now is go over my mathematica command so that I can fix it.

Thank you guys

What is a parametric plot?

A parametric plot is a type of graph that represents a mathematical function with two or more variables. It is commonly used to visualize curves and surfaces in a coordinate system.

How do you create a parametric plot?

To create a parametric plot, you need to define two or more functions that represent the variables in the plot. These functions are typically represented as x(t) and y(t), where t is a parameter that varies along the plot. Then, you can use software or graphing calculators to plot the functions and generate the graph.

What is the purpose of a parametric plot?

The purpose of a parametric plot is to visualize and analyze complex functions that cannot be easily represented in a standard x-y graph. It allows for a better understanding of the relationships between variables and can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the advantages of using a parametric plot?

One of the main advantages of using a parametric plot is that it can represent functions that are not easily visualized in a traditional x-y graph. It also allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of a function by varying parameters. Additionally, it can handle more complex and abstract concepts, such as parametric equations and vector-valued functions.

What are some common applications of parametric plots?

Parametric plots are commonly used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, computer graphics, and data visualization. They can also be used in real-world applications, such as designing curves and surfaces in 3D modeling and animation, analyzing the motion of objects, and predicting economic trends.