1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Representation of Field Lines

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1

"Find parametric representations of the field lines."

How do I parametrize all possible field lines?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What field? I really wish people would give the entire exercise!

First of all, a "field" in the sense meant here is a physics concept, not a mathematics concept- you can have an electric field, a magnetic field, or a gravitational field! There is a mathematics "field" but it doesn't have lines!

Secondly, since you are posting this in Homework and Coursework forum, surely you know that you must show us what you have attempted on the problem yourself (which would help us figure out what in the world you are talking about!). IF I am interpreting this problem correctly, there are some very difficult parts to it. Getting started should be easy! What "field" do you have here and what are "field lines"?
    You have given us a function of three
  4. Oct 22, 2005 #3
    Vector fields don't have lines? At least I think this is a vector field. This is an ad cal class and my assignment is as I typed it. I don't think it's asking for any sort of algebraic "fields" or "rings". But these days everything from every class is popping up in every other class, so I'll never know.

On what I've done: I can show that this field is conservative because it's the gradient of the function

if that helps.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?