1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric second derivative

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    I'm having trouble seeing how an example comes out because the "worked example" skips about 5 steps and I can't get from point a to b.

It starts as:

[tex] \frac{\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{3t^{2}-3}{3t^{2}-6t})}{3t^2-6t} [/tex]

and is meant to end up as:

[tex] \frac{-2(t^{2}-t+1)}{3t^{3}(t-2)^{3}} [/tex]

I end up with a mess looking nothing like that and I suspect it's because I've missed some cunning common factor that is easy to spot provided you've already done the problem.

I used the quotient rule for the top part.

[tex] \frac{u}{v} = \frac{u'v-uv'}{v^{2}} [/tex]

My rearrangement looks like this:

[tex] \frac{-3t^{2}-t+1}{(3t^{2}-6t)^{3}} [/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well that was a good start, although you shouldn't be tacky with your notation!

[tex] \frac{u}{v} = \frac{u'v-v'u}{v^2} [/tex] is incorrect, although

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{u}{v} \right) = \frac{u'v-v'u}{v^2} [/tex] is correct.

Firstly, I would have done polynomial division to get [tex] \frac{3t^2-3}{3t^2 -6} = 1 + \frac{2t-1}{t^2-2t} [/tex] which simplifies the algebra you have to grind through considerably.

Do it one step at a time. Let u = 2t-1, so u' = 2. v = t^2 - 2t, so v' = 2t-2. Substitute those directly into the rule again and simplify. You should get what the book says, the result is correct.
  4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    But it's [tex] 3t^{2}-6t[/tex] on the bottom, not [tex]3t^{2}-6[/tex]

Can you still divide them?

[edit] Oops turn out I just suck at polynomial division. I got it now... [edit]
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?