Parametric Sphere Projection: A Function for Projecting Points onto a Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of projecting a point on a plane above a sphere onto the sphere, and then projecting it onto the x,y plane using the normal vector of the sphere. The equation for the sphere is given parametrically, and it is elevated by a value of z0. The final solution will not use a unit sphere, but the process is confirmed to work. There is some confusion about the orientation of the plane and projection, but the plan is to project to the inside of the bottom half of the sphere and then use the normal vector to project down to the x,y plane. The speaker is currently working on the math and will provide a more detailed explanation later.
Lancelot59
I just want to make sure my thinking is correct with a problem I'm working on. I'm trying to write a function that will take a point on a plane above a sphere, and then project it onto that sphere. From there project the point onto the x,y plane by following the normal vector of the sphere

I have a sphere parametrically defined like so:
[tex]\vec{r}(u,v)=(cos(u)sin(v),sin(u)sin(v),cos(v))[/tex]
[tex]0\leq u \leq 2\pi[/tex]
[tex]0\leq v \leq \pi[/tex]

Now if I was so elevate this sphere by some arbitrary value z0, it should turn into this:
[tex]\vec{r}(u,v)=(cos(u)sin(v),sin(u)sin(v),cos(v)+Z_{0})[/tex]
Since the unit normal of a sphere is the same as the unit vector that defines the surface, I think this should work. Then from here I think I should just be able to scale up the vector until I reach the x,y plane. Of course my final solution will be different, as I won't be using a unit sphere to do the actual projection. I just wanted to make sure I had the right plan going.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's certainly the equation of the unit sphere moved up one alright. So this plane is going to project to the top half of the sphere than along the inward normal? Is the plane horizontal? Is the projection vertical? Not sure I understand exactly what you intend, but, yes, it seems like it should work.

LCKurtz said:
That's certainly the equation of the unit sphere moved up one alright. So this plane is going to project to the top half of the sphere than along the inward normal? Is the plane horizontal? Is the projection vertical? Not sure I understand exactly what you intend, but, yes, it seems like it should work.

The plane is above the sphere, and will project to the inside of the bottom half. From there I can derive the values of U and V from the X Y coordinates on the plane (it will have the same projection on the sphere regardless of z, as long as it's fully above it). Then I use the normal vector of the sphere, and project down to the x,y plane. I'm running the math now, I'll make a more detailed post when I've finished.

1. What is Parametric Sphere Projection?

Parametric Sphere Projection is a mathematical technique used to map a spherical object onto a two-dimensional plane. This is commonly used in computer graphics and image processing to create a realistic representation of a three-dimensional sphere.

2. How does Parametric Sphere Projection work?

Parametric Sphere Projection uses a set of mathematical equations to convert the three-dimensional coordinates of a spherical object into two-dimensional coordinates on a plane. This is done by projecting the points on the surface of the sphere onto the plane in a way that preserves the shape and size of the sphere.

3. What are the advantages of using Parametric Sphere Projection?

Parametric Sphere Projection allows for more accurate and realistic representation of spherical objects in two-dimensional images. It also allows for easier manipulation and transformation of these objects in computer graphics and image processing.

4. Are there any limitations to Parametric Sphere Projection?

One limitation of Parametric Sphere Projection is that it only works for perfectly spherical objects. If an object has any irregularities or deformations, the projection may not accurately represent its shape.

5. How is Parametric Sphere Projection used in scientific research?

In scientific research, Parametric Sphere Projection is commonly used in fields such as astronomy, geology, and meteorology to create accurate models and visualizations of spherical objects, such as planets, moons, and weather patterns. It is also used in medical imaging to map spherical organs, such as the brain, onto a two-dimensional image for analysis.