Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Parametric Surface

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a part of a bigger problem I am working on for my calculus 3 class. There is a parametric surface: [itex]^{\vec{}}r(u,v)=<u+v,u-v,1-2u>[/itex]
    It represents the plane through points (1,0,0), (0,1,0) (0,0,1). As part of the problem, I need to set up a surface integral (specifically through this parametrization) and evaluate it. Now, what is the proper way of finding the upper and lower value for u and v?

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging the values x,y and z from the above given points into the following system: [itex]^{}X(u,v)=u+v, Y(u,v)=u-v, Z(u,v)=1-2u[/itex]

As result, I obtained 3 pairs of u and v: [itex]^{}u=1/2,v=1/2 (for (1,0,0));u=0,v=0 (for (0,0,1)); u=1/2,v=-1/2 (for (0,1,0)) [/itex]

Is it mathematically correct to send the double integral over the parametric region for [itex]^{}u\epsilon[0,1/2][/itex] and [itex]^{}v\epsilon[-1/2,1/2] [/itex] ?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, u in [0,1/2] and v in [-1/2,1/2] is a four sided polygon. What you want is a three sided polygon. As you've already figured out, the vertices are (u,v)=(1/2,1/2), (0,0) and (1/2,-1/2). That's a triangle, right? The upper and lower limits can't both be constants.

4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    thank you :) You are right. I have actually figured this one out last night. I temporarily made an explicit (x,y) parametrization to the surface and saw that its identical to the one given through (u,v). It was easy from there. I guess my question is whether there is any formal method on finding boundaries of (u,v) when you are given a surface in x,y,z and a complicated parametrization? What if the case is not as obvious as the one I had above?

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You have [itex]\vec{r}= <u+ v, u- v, 1- 2u>[/itex] and your vertices are (1,0,0), (0,1,0), and (0,0,1).

For the first point, you must have u+ v= 1, u- v= 0. Adding the two equations, 2u= 1 so u= 1/2. Then, of course, v= 1/2 also. Check the last coordinate: 1- 2(1/2)= 0. If that last didn't check, the point would not be on this surface.

For the second point, you must have u+ v= 0, u- v= 1. Adding the two equations give 2u= 1 so u= 1/2 but now v= -1/2. Again, 1- 2(1/2)= 0.

For the third point, you must have u+ v= 0, u- v= 0. Those two equations give the obvious u= 0, v= 0 and, of course, 1-2(0)= 1.

That is, your triangle has vertices, in the "(u, v) plane" (0, 0), (1/2, -1/2), and (1/2, 1/2).

The line from (0, 0) to (1/2, 1/2) is v= u. The line from (0, 0) to (1/2, -1/2) is v= -u.
    You need u from 0 to 1/2 and, for each u, v from -u to u.

And your differential, in terms of du and dv is?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook