Parametric Surfaces and Their Areas

In summary, the conversation is about finding a parametric representation for a given surface and the confusion surrounding the use of parameters u and v. It is concluded that the labels for the parameters are arbitrary and do not affect the solution. Additionally, it is mentioned that the same concept applies to other mathematical equations, such as definite integrals.
wubie
[SOLVED] Parametric Surfaces and Their Areas

Hello,

I am having problems visualizing a concept. First I will post my question as it is given in Jame's Stewart's Fourth Edition Multivariable Calculus text, Chapter 17, section 6, question 17.

Find a parametric representation for the given surface.

(a) The plane that passes through the point (1,2,-3) and contains the two vectors i + j + - k and i - j + k .

Now I know that vector representation in the solution can be written as

r(u,v) = rsub0 + ua + vb

where a = i + j + - k and b = i - j + k which becomes

r(u,v) = <1,2,-3> + u<1,1,-1> + v<1,-1,1>

which would produce parametric equations

x = 1 + u + v,
y = 2 + u -v,
z = -3 -u + v.

But what I am wondering what if I let a = i - j + k and b = i + j + - k . Then I would have

r(u,v) = <1,2,-3> + u<1,-1,1> + v<1,1,-1>

which would produce different parametric equations than the first.

x = 1 + u + v,
y = 2 - u + v,
z = -3 + u - v.

Now intuitively I think this is just as valid as the first. Is it though?

Any help / input is appreciated. Thankyou.

I'm back and the more I think about it and fool around with it I believe it is not possible to have two vector equations representing a plane with the above criteria. If that is the case then how do I determine which vector is multiplied by the parameter u and which vector is multiplied by the parameter v? This is the part that is confusing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
u and v are just dummy (free) variables. the two planes are the same.

Perhaps it's easier to see:

just take the x,y plane itself, in R^2

then all points on it can be described as the set {(u,v) | u,v in R} and is equally the set {(s,t) | s,t in R} and hence, {(v,u) | v,u in R}

nothing special going on.

I think I know what you are saying, but I am not following

then all points on it can be described as the set {(u,v) | u,v in R} and is equally the set {(s,t) | s,t in R} and hence, {(v,u) | v,u in R}

Particularly when you go from

is equally the set {(s,t) | s,t in R} and hence, {(v,u) | v,u in R}

Usually it is the simplest things that stump me. Over thinking too much perhaps? I don't know.

The two planes are the same just like these two lines are the same:
[tex]\underline{u} = (1, 2, 3) + \alpha (4, 5, 6)[/tex]
[tex]\underline{v} = (5, 7, 9) + \beta (8, 10, 12)[/tex]
When you combine two vectors linearly to form a surface, the scalar coefficients can take absolutely any value and they have no special meaning...

To echo Chen, the u,v,s,t are just parameters free to roam over any (real) value. The labels have no intrinsic meanings.take the even numbers, then it is the set of all objects, s where s=2t for some integer t. I picked those labels at random and could have equally put them in the other order. It isn't important as long as you don't mix things...

another example:

the definite integral from 0 to 1 of f(x)dx is the same as if we did it for f(y)dy, or f(s)ds...

1. What are parametric surfaces?

Parametric surfaces are a way of representing a three-dimensional shape or object using a set of mathematical equations, known as parametric equations. These equations describe how the x, y, and z coordinates of points on the surface change in relation to two independent variables, typically u and v.

2. How are parametric surfaces different from regular surfaces?

Regular surfaces, also known as explicit surfaces, can be described by a single equation in terms of x, y, and z. Parametric surfaces, on the other hand, require two independent variables and a set of equations to describe the surface.

3. What is the area of a parametric surface?

The area of a parametric surface is calculated using a mathematical formula called the surface area integral. This integral takes into account the curvature of the surface and the rate at which it changes in different directions.

4. Can parametric surfaces be used to model real-life objects?

Yes, parametric surfaces can be used to model real-life objects such as 3D shapes and surfaces found in nature. They are often used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and complex objects.

5. How are parametric surfaces useful in scientific research?

Parametric surfaces are useful in scientific research because they provide a way to mathematically represent complex shapes and objects. This allows scientists to study and analyze these objects using mathematical methods, which can provide insights and understanding into real-life phenomena.