1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Transformations

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    Okay, is it possible to transform an "x-y" equation into a parametric "equation"? If so, how would I go about it? For example, if I am given the equation (x^2)/1-(y^2)/25=1, what process would I have to use to find the Parametric equations?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2
    If either variable was a function of the other, you could do the trivial way of letting one variable be the parameter. In any other case, there is no general way for generating a parametrization other than experience.
    For example, knowing the identity cosh2(t) - sinh2(t) = 1 shows us that one parametrization of the curve is x = cosh(t), y=5*sinh(t). The similarity to a certain parametrization of an ellipse makes their names as "hyperbolic" neighbors to sine and cosine clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook