1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric/vector equations

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the vector/ and parametric equations for the line that passes through A(3, -1, 2) and parallel to the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the vector and parametric equations of a line, when given two points. I am just confused on what they mean by parallel to the x-axis. Would we assume the second point is (0,1,1), since it is parallel to the x-axis.. any help is appreciated.. thank you!N

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    To me that would mean the z-value is constant and also the y value. You can pick any point for x

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    so would the (0,1,1) work?

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    bump..anyone?

6. May 3, 2010 #5
    I don't believe so. Again the y and z terms would be constant.
    So any value for {n} can be chosen. Your point would be (n,-1,2)

7. May 3, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. If you call this point B, the vector AB is not parallel to the x-axis. A vector parallel to the x-axis has a non-zero x-coordinate, and the other two coordinates are zero.

8. May 3, 2010 #7
    ok, so something like (1,0,0) would work? your point makes sense, just want to confirm..

9. May 3, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the direction of the line has to be <1, 0, 0> or some scalar multiple of this vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook