Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Parametric/vector equations

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the vector/ and parametric equations for the line that passes through A(3, -1, 2) and parallel to the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the vector and parametric equations of a line, when given two points. I am just confused on what they mean by parallel to the x-axis. Would we assume the second point is (0,1,1), since it is parallel to the x-axis.. any help is appreciated.. thank you!N

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2
    To me that would mean the z-value is constant and also the y value. You can pick any point for x

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    so would the (0,1,1) work?

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    bump..anyone?

6. May 3, 2010 #5
    I don't believe so. Again the y and z terms would be constant.
    So any value for {n} can be chosen. Your point would be (n,-1,2)

7. May 3, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. If you call this point B, the vector AB is not parallel to the x-axis. A vector parallel to the x-axis has a non-zero x-coordinate, and the other two coordinates are zero.

8. May 3, 2010 #7
    ok, so something like (1,0,0) would work? your point makes sense, just want to confirm..

9. May 3, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the direction of the line has to be <1, 0, 0> or some scalar multiple of this vector.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook