Parametric Vector Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction of vector P1P2 by using the cross product of the direction vectors of two lines. The attempt at a solution involved using the scalar product, but no progress was made. It was suggested to use the cross product, which resulted in a direction vector of (-1,3,1).
gomess

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=67625&d=1394829803.jpg

Homework Equations

(x,y,z)=(x0,y0,z0) + t(m1,m2,m3)

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I thought that since vector P1P2 is at right angles to both lines, both lines must be parallel. Quickly dismissed this idea since their direction vectors are not multiples of one another. Then I thought P1P2 could be the cross product of both direction vectors... crossed both vectors and got P1P2=(-1,3,1). Not sure if that's the right approach, and not sure what to do from here. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gomess said:

Homework Statement

Attached thumbnail

Homework Equations

(x,y,z)=(x0,y0,z0) + t(m1,m2,m3)

The Attempt at a Solution

So at first I thought that since vector P1P2 is at right angles to both lines, both lines must be parallel. Quickly dismissed this idea since their direction vectors are not multiples of one another. Then I thought P1P2 could be the cross product of both direction vectors... crossed both vectors and got P1P2=(-1,3,1). Not sure if that's the right approach, and not sure what to do from here. Any help would be great!
Posting the image will make it more likely that your question will get attention:

attachment.php?attachmentid=67625&d=1394829803.jpg

I haven't worked through the problem, but it seems to me that the dot product (scalar product) may work better.

I'll try using the scalar product and see where it gets me.
Edit: No progress. I figured that since P1 lies on L1, some value of 't' would take me to P1 and from there, vector P1P2 would take me to P2 (assuming P1P2 is the cross product of the direction vectors).

Last edited:
gomess said:
I'll try using the scalar product and see where it gets me.
Edit: No progress. I figured that since P1 lies on L1, some value of 't' would take me to P1 and from there, vector P1P2 would take me to P2 (assuming P1P2 is the cross product of the direction vectors).

Oh! Yes, that should work for the direction of ##\displaystyle\vec{P_1P_2} \ .\ ## You were correct about the result of <-1, 3, 1>

1. What is a parametric vector problem?

A parametric vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves manipulating vectors using parameters. Parameters are variables that can be changed to explore different solutions to the problem.

2. How is a parametric vector problem different from a regular vector problem?

In a regular vector problem, the vectors have fixed values and cannot be changed. In a parametric vector problem, the vectors have variables that can be adjusted to find different solutions.

3. What are some common applications of parametric vector problems?

Parametric vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can also be used to model real-world situations, such as the motion of objects or the path of a moving vehicle.

4. How do you solve a parametric vector problem?

To solve a parametric vector problem, you first need to define the parameters and their relationships to the vectors. Then, you can manipulate the equations using algebra and trigonometry to find the values of the vectors.

5. What skills are important for solving parametric vector problems?

A strong understanding of vectors, algebra, and trigonometry is essential for solving parametric vector problems. It is also helpful to have knowledge of calculus and computer programming for more complex problems.