1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrization of a curve

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm doing a line integral and can't seem to figure out the parametrization of this curve:
    [itex]x^2+y^2+z=2\pi[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Looking to get it to the form:
    [itex]\textbf{c}(r,t)=(x(r,t),y(r,t),z(r,t))[/itex] (I don't even know if this is right though).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Trying to use [itex]x=r \cos t[/itex] and [itex]y=r \sin t[/itex] but I still can't get anywhere.

I have a feeling I'm totally in the wrong direction.
    The [itex]2\pi[/itex] is killing me too!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your basic problem is NOT the "[itex]2\pi[/itex]". It is that [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z= 2\pi[/itex] does NOT define a line (or curve or path) in three dimensions. It can be written as [itex]z= 2\pi- x^2- y^2[/itex] which is a surface (specifically, a paraboloid). Essentially, given any x and y you can solve for z so this is a two dimensional figure, not one dimension.

Please tell us what the entire problem really is.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    I realized this after thinking about for a while, the real parametrizaion I can't figure out is a curve that is a corkscrew getting narrower as it goes up around the parabolioid, starting at [itex] (\sqrt{2\pi},0,0) [/itex] and ending at the top of the paraboloid, [itex] (0,0,2\pi) [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook