Parametrizing Z=y^2-x^2 & f(x,y)=(-x,-y,z)

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the parametrization of a surface defined by the equation z = y^2 - x^2 and the function f(x,y) = (-x, -y, z). The participants suggest using x = cosh(v) and y = sinh(v) as parameters, and also mention the possibility of using z as a parameter and introducing another parameter u = z. The conversation also references a given exercise involving a parametrization in the form of f(x,y). Finally, they agree on the parametrization f(x,y) = (-x, -y, y^2 - x^2) for the given equation.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hi!
Which is the parametrization of z= y^2-x^2 , and f(x,y)=(-x,-y,z) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I have to use x=coshv and y=sinhv, so z=-1??

No, z is to be a variable and there is no reason to believe it would be the constant, -1.

[tex]z= x^2- y^2[/tex] is a single equation in three variables. It's graph has 3- 1= 2 dimensions so is a surface. A Parameterization must have 2 parameters.

Using your idea of x= cosh(v) and y= sinh(v), since we want "z" rather than -1, multiply by -z: x= -z cosh(v), y= -z sinh(v). If you don't like the idea of using z itself as a parameter (and have already us "v" as a parameter), introduce the paramer u= z. Then x= - u cosh(v),
y= -u sinh(v), z= u.

I don't understand what "f(-x, -y, z)" has to do with this. What is "f"?

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand what "f(-x, -y, z)" has to do with this. What is "f"?

I don't really know...It is given from the exercise :(

\(\displaystyle y=(1+t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle x=(1-t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle z=4t...\)
may be?

mathmari said:
I don't really know...It is given from the exercise :(

Looks to me as if you're supposed to give a parametrization in the form f(x,y).
In that case your parametrization would be:
$$f(x,y)=(-x,-y,y^2-x^2)$$

mathworker said:
may be?

You mean:
\(\displaystyle y^2=(1+t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle x^2=(1-t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle z=4t\)
Right??

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
Looks to me as if you're supposed to give a parametrization in the form f(x,y).
In that case your parametrization would be:
$$f(x,y)=(-x,-y,y^2-x^2)$$

Ok! Thanks! :)

mathworker said:
may be?

This is a curve while the original equation is a surface...

mathmari said:
You mean:
\(\displaystyle y^2=(1+t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle x^2=(1-t)^2\)
\(\displaystyle z=4t\)
Right??
yes!:eek:

1. What does it mean to parametrize a function?

Parametrizing a function means representing the function using a set of parameters or variables. This allows us to express the function in terms of these parameters, making it easier to work with and analyze.

2. How do I parametrize the function Z=y^2-x^2?

To parametrize a function, we need to choose a set of parameters that can represent the function. For the function Z=y^2-x^2, we can choose the parameters x and y themselves, since they already appear in the function. This gives us the parametrization Z(x,y)=y^2-x^2.

3. Why is it useful to parametrize a function?

Parametrizing a function can make it easier to study and analyze. It can also help in visualizing the function and understanding its behavior. Parametrization can also be useful in solving problems involving the function and in finding specific values or solutions.

4. How do I parametrize a vector function f(x,y)=(-x,-y,z)?

To parametrize a vector function, we need to assign parameters to each component of the vector. In this case, we can choose x and y as parameters for the first two components and z as the parameter for the third component. This gives us the parametrization f(x,y,z)=(-x,-y,z).

5. Can any function be parametrized?

Yes, any function can be parametrized as long as we can find a suitable set of parameters that can represent the function. However, some functions may be more difficult to parametrize than others and may require more complex parameters.