1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrize a cylinder

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Parametrize the part of the cylinder 4y^2 + z^2 = 36 between the planes x= -3 and x=7

3. The attempt at a solution
    Parametric equations:
    y=4 + 6cos(theta)

in vector form
    [tex]\widehat{}r[/tex]= x[tex]\widehat{}i[/tex] + (4 + 6cos(theta))[tex]\widehat{}j[/tex] + 6sin(theta)[tex]\widehat{}k[/tex]

-3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 7

I really don't know if I'm completing correctly, any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    These y,z do NOT satisfy 4y^2+z^2=36. Moreover, you cannot speak of a radius here, as the crosssection of the cylinder is not a circle.
  4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    the cross sections of the cylinder perpendicular to the x axis are circles y^2 + z^2=6^2 correct?
    then this would be given parametrically as y=6cos(theta) and z=6sin(theta) right?
  5. Dec 5, 2008 #4
    This is correct, but in your original problem the y^2 is multiplied by a factor 4.
    If you let y'=2y, then you have

y'^2+z^2=36 and so

y'=6 cos(theta)
    z =6 sin(theta)

Now use y=y'/2 and you're done.
  6. Dec 5, 2008 #5
    Thanks I did not know what to do with factor of 4

so would this be correct???

in vector form
    [tex]\widehat{}r[/tex]= x[tex]\widehat{}i[/tex] + 3cos(theta)[tex]\widehat{}j[/tex] + 6sin(theta)[tex]\widehat{}k[/tex]

-3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 7

do i need to say anything about theta going from 0 to 2pi?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?