Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrizing a curve

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    Is there a general way to find a vector valued function that parametrizes a curve??? I'm reading through a textbook and it says nothing in depth about parametrization and suddenly there's a question...

Find a vector valued function f that parametrizes the curve in the direction indicated.

4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36

Can someone please help me with this example and shed some light on parametrization????

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no general "algorithm" for finding a parameterization- it usually results from some geometric or physical insight into the problem. Here, for example, I would recognise the graph of [itex]4x^2+ 9y^2= 36[/itex] as an ellipse which, in "standard form", would be [itex]x^2/9+ y^2/4= 1[/itex]. In that form I can see that the ellipse has center (0, 0) and has vertices at (3, 0), (-3, 0), (0, 2), and (0, -2).

And that I can think of as a "warped circle". Standard parametric equations for a circle with center at (0, 0) and radius R are [itex]x= R cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= R sin(\theta)[/itex]. Then it should be easy to see that choosing different values for "R" will give [itex]x= 3 cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= 2sin(\theta)[/itex] will give the desired ellipse.

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3
    That was extremely helpful, thank you so much.

One more thing - when looking for a vector valued function, can I just assign the unit vectors to the x and y equations so that f(t) = 3cos(t)i + 2sin(t)j, where i and j are both unit vectors and t is the parameter?

5. Jan 7, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course, I should have said that: If x= f(t) and y= g(t) then the "vector form" is v(t)= xi+ yj= f(t)i+ g(t)j.

6. Jan 11, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, in your the post it says "in the direction indicated" but there was no "direction indicated". My parameterization "goes around" the ellipse as [itex]\theta[/itex] increases- in the counterclockwise direction. If, instead we use [itex]x= 3cos(t)[/itex], [itex]y= -2sin(t)[/itex], or v(t)= 3cos(t)i-2 sin(t)j goes around the ellipse in the clockwise direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook