Parametrizing a curve

• Thread starter cytochrome
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find a vector-valued function f that parametrizes the curve (x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1

Homework Equations

(x-1)^2 + y^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation is the graph of a circle that is 1 unit to the right of the origin, therefore a parametrization would be

x(t) = cos(t) + 1
y(t) = sin(t)

Therefore a vector-valued function that parametrizes this curve is given by

r(t) = (cos(t) + 1)i + sin(t)j

I've been having trouble with parametrization lately so I was wondering if this is correct. Also, is there a better method to go about this sort of thing? Is it entirely visual and you just have to have a "feel" for it?

Answers and Replies

CAF123
Gold Member
Yes, that would be a correct parametrisation. There are of course ways to check that it is correct.

Yes, that would be a correct parametrisation. There are of course ways to check that it is correct.

But is there an algorithm or anything to go about it? I just had to visualize it. Will every parametrization problem be like that?

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
But is there an algorithm or anything to go about it? I just had to visualize it. Will every parametrization problem be like that?

I would say pretty much yes to that. There are always many possible parameterizations and often some are more natural or "better" than others for a particular purpose. In your example, visualizing it as a circle and thinking in terms of sines and cosines is exactly the appropriate approach. There isn't a magic procedure that will always mindlessly work.