1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametrizing y=x^2 in physics

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1
    How would one might parametrize y = x^2

Here is the problem

"an object moves along the parabola y = x^2 from (0,0) to (2,4). One of the forces acting on the object is F(x,y) = (x+2y)i + (2x+y)j. Calculate the work done by F."

the soluction manual has r(t) = ui + u2j -- [0,2]
    I forgot how to parametrize this type of function(y = x^2), and how to get the limits of integration of [0,2]?
    Thanks
    Philip

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No it didn't; it probably had something like [itex]\mathbf{r}(t) = t \mathbf{i} + t^2 \mathbf{j}\; -- \; [0, 2][/itex] though. What are the [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] components of [itex]r[/itex] as a function of [itex]t[/itex]? How does the range of [itex]t[/itex] compare to the ranges of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]? Does that give you any ideas how one might, in general, parametrize the curve [itex]y=f(x) \; \mbox{from} \; (a, f(a)) \; \mbox{to} \; (b, f(b))[/itex]?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  4. Nov 29, 2003 #3
    Hurkly,
    Sorry I forgot the "^", yes you were right. You would have to forgive me, being an "elder" student, I don't remember a thing from the past, so my foundation in math is a bit weak. Can you give me what level of math that material may have been covered? That way I can do some reading on it.
    Thanks for your help,
    Philip

5. Nov 30, 2003 #4
    I first saw simple parameterizations, functions and circles, in my university's Calculus1 course. They appeared again, fairly extensively, in my Multivariable Calculus course.

When you have a function defined as y in terms of x, the simple parameterization is to let x=t, then y=f(t). This gives
    r(t)=<t, f(t)> as the position vector.

You will then obtain the limits, in terms of t, from the beginning and ending values of x, since x = t.

I'm sure someone will give you a more rigorous explanation, but I hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?