Paraphrasing Help: First Person Writing

• Thread starter Kabloom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of paraphrasing and provides examples of how to paraphrase a sentence. The participants also mention a useful resource for paraphrasing and the gray areas that can arise when trying to paraphrase. They ultimately agree that paraphrasing is simply stating the same thing in different words, and they encourage following Moonbear's advice on how to paraphrase effectively.
Kabloom
I know this isn't the homework section, but the homework section only allows science-related questions for homework. This is as well out of the "science realm," but it doesn't seem like "General Discussion" to ask about Paraphrasing.

Well, my question is how to paraphrase a piece of writing that is in the first person. I checked out http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/619/01/" , but I don't think they gave a first person document as an example.

Would "I had trouble asking for directions in Mexico because of my lack of knowledge in Spanish," be paraphrased something like "Without necessary language skills in Spanish, the traveler was not able to ask for directions in Mexico," or "Since I did not know any Spanish, I found myself troubled while asking for directions in Mexico?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either one is paraphrasing. It depends on whether you're paraphrasing the words spoken by someone else (your first example) or something you said earlier and are paraphrasing to repeat to someone else (your second example).

Oh, so I guess the first example would be my answer (I need to paraphrase a certain part of Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes). Thanks Moonbear!

This is why PF is so cool. Need legal advice? try PF. Need help with your garden? try PF. Have a itch you can't quite reach? try PF

To paraphrase just means to say the same thing in different words. Obviously, any change of words is going to entail some change of meaning. There will always be gray areas.

The original: Yes.

Candidate A; No.

Candidate B: Affirmative.

Candidate A is not a paraphrase because it doesn't say the same thing. Candidate B is a paraphrase.

The original: I had trouble asking for directions in Mexico because of my lack of knowledge in Spanish.

Candidate A: Without necessary language skills in Spanish, the traveler was not able to ask for directions in Mexico.

Candidate B: Since I did not know any Spanish, I found myself troubled while asking for directions in Mexico.

Candidate A is not a paraphrase because it doesn't say the same thing. Candidate B is a paraphrase.

thanks for paraphrasing Moonbear's original answer.
though I disagree with your conclusion.

Isn't paraphrasing basically chewing the words and spitting them back out?

I still feel compelled to follow Moonbear's answer.

"Different words" can mean a lot of things, as well as one simple answer.

Kabloom said:
Isn't paraphrasing basically chewing the words and spitting them back out?

I still feel compelled to follow Moonbear's answer.

"Different words" can mean a lot of things, as well as one simple answer.

yes. go with moonbear. i don't know how hard your teacher grades, but if it isn't a quote it's paraphrasing.

What is paraphrasing?

Paraphrasing is the process of rewording a piece of text in your own words while retaining the original meaning and ideas.

Why is first person writing often used in academic writing?

First person writing allows the writer to express their own perspective and experiences, making the writing more personal and engaging for the reader.

How can paraphrasing help with first person writing?

Paraphrasing can help incorporate first person writing by allowing the writer to rephrase direct quotes or information from other sources in their own words, while still citing the original source.

Is it acceptable to use first person in all types of writing?

No, first person writing is not always appropriate for all types of writing. It is most commonly used in personal narratives, reflective essays, and other forms of creative nonfiction.

What are some tips for effectively incorporating first person writing in academic writing?

One tip is to use first person sparingly and only when it adds value to the writing. It is also important to maintain a professional tone and avoid using first person pronouns excessively.