Parasites in Food: What You Need to Know

• Medical
  • Thread starter aquaregia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, Parasites can be found in many foods, cooked meats can be eaten safely, and parasites can be detected through fecal exams.
aquaregia
I have read some stuff about how a much greater portion of society has parasites in their intestines than is normally assumed. Does anyone know what foods are known to contain lots parasites or if they mainly contracted when people touch soil or fecal matter and then touch their mouth?

Also I eat some organic foods and I am wondering if anyone knows if parasites could be in bread or cereal, or if cooking would kill it, because there has been a couple times when I was eating some organic cereal and it tasted like I just bit into some kind of manure or bird feces or something and I spit it out.

Biology news on Phys.org
basically all meat products have the potential to have parasites, usually they are of no consequences especially for beef, chicken etc u only got to worry about pork. their meat can sometimes harbour tapeworms which when ingested by humans may result in cyst forming in our tissues and may lead to death if the cyst form in the brain

i'm not too sure about bread and cereal but my guess is no, although certain parasites have lifestages in grasses, i dun think its likely to get cross contamination.

cooking will kill the parasites but not always, especially if u cook on low-medium heat and too quickly or both

one sure way of knowing whether u have parasites is to look at ur feces, if u see it moving or has tiny eggs in it...well u know u have it ;)

Raw fish like poorly prepared sushi has the potential for many worm problems. I don't eat sushi often, but when I do, I insist it's at a 5 star place known for it.

cooking will kill the parasites but not always, especially if u cook on low-medium heat and too quickly or both

So eating steak medium rare and cooking in a crockpot is risky?

Greg -

It is not that simple. If you get the internal temperature of food above 160F most parasitic organisms perish. 160F is at or below the temperature of the crockpots in North America, foe example.

IMO, the problem relates more to a reliable tested food supply, or lack thereof.
There are lot of cooked meats and vegetables that can be safely prepared and consumed
at lower temperatures or even as fresh items - in a tested food supply. A lot of CDC reports for trichinosis are the result of poorly prepared game - especially things like bear and wild boar.

I would be more worried about imported foods from places where there are problems, the recent Salmonella outbreak -- warning on tomatoes and peppers from one area in Mexico for example. Testing for Salmonella or tapeworms - like measly beef, and trichina cysts in pork is pretty straightforward, and can be done quickly. It just needs to be done and reported honestly.

1. What are parasites?

Parasites are organisms that live on or in another organism, known as the host, and obtain nutrients from the host. They can range in size from microscopic to large worms or insects.

2. How do parasites get into food?

Parasites can get into food through various means, such as contaminated water or soil, improper handling and preparation of food, and consumption of infected animals or plants.

3. What are the symptoms of parasitic foodborne illness?

The symptoms of parasitic foodborne illness can vary depending on the type of parasite, but common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fatigue. In severe cases, the parasite can cause serious health problems or even death.

4. How can I prevent parasitic foodborne illness?

To prevent parasitic foodborne illness, it is important to properly handle and cook food, wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly, and avoid consuming raw or undercooked meat. It is also important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands before and after handling food.

5. What should I do if I suspect I have consumed food contaminated with parasites?

If you suspect you have consumed food contaminated with parasites, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Your doctor may perform tests to confirm the presence of parasites and prescribe medication to treat the infection.