What happens when parasitic wasps take over a host's mind?

In summary, the conversation discusses a video about a parasitic wasp's ability to control the behavior of its host. Some found it fascinating, while others found it disturbing and had to stop watching. Nature is both wonderful and brutal.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ack, the only remaining indigenous inhabitant of Ceti Alpha 5!

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Ack, the only remaining indigenous inhabitant of Seta Alpha 5!
:rofl:

Wow.. they are so clever :frown:
I never saw it before. It's amazing. I don't have a clue about how they developed that behavior/chemicals.

I have seen a lot of very disturbing things in my life. After viewing this, I believe I shall go hide in my closet for the remainder of my life. That was just ...just ...{gag}.

Isn't nature wonderful.

Now I know what to get my brother for his birthday!

Kurdt said:
Isn't nature wonderful.
My thought exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU

A much nicer inter species relationship.

Parasitic wasp mind control
I think this looks close to impossible. The instructions mother follows are too complicated and her behavior is similar to where she and her larvae are being attacked by other species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
Isn't nature wonderful.

Fascinating but brutal, is more what comes to mind.

I had to shut if off after about 10 seconds. Logically, I'm curious and know better than to be weirded out, but that just made my skin crawl.

edit: In line with Ivan's signature, though... if the wasps had been ingesting Sarah Palin, I would have continued watching and cheered them on.

1. How do parasitic wasps control the minds of their hosts?

Parasitic wasps have evolved to inject a virus into their host's brain, which alters the host's behavior to suit the wasp's needs. This virus affects certain neurons in the host's brain, causing them to behave abnormally and ultimately leading to the wasp's control over the host's movements.

2. What types of hosts do parasitic wasps target?

Parasitic wasps can target a wide range of hosts, including other insects, spiders, and even some crustaceans. Different species of parasitic wasps have evolved to target specific hosts, depending on their preferred food source and reproductive cycle.

3. How do parasitic wasps benefit from controlling their hosts?

Parasitic wasps use their mind control abilities to ensure the survival of their offspring. By manipulating their hosts' behavior, they can ensure that their eggs are laid in a safe and suitable environment, and that their larvae have access to a ready food source.

4. Can parasitic wasps control multiple hosts at once?

Yes, some species of parasitic wasps have been observed controlling multiple hosts simultaneously. This allows them to lay their eggs in several hosts, increasing the chances of survival for their offspring.

5. Is there any danger to humans from parasitic wasp mind control?

No, parasitic wasps have not been known to target humans as hosts. They are highly specific in their host selection, and humans are not suitable hosts for their reproductive cycle. However, it is always important to exercise caution and avoid disturbing parasitic wasps in their natural habitats.