1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paraxial wave equation

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    paraxial wave equation - Solved

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a laser beam travelling is traveling in one direction, we can make the paraxial approximation.

Question: Find an expression for the surfaces with constant phase in the beam.

2. Relevant equations

From a previous part of the question, I had to work out the paraxial wave equation
    which
    [tex]\nabla^2_{x,y}G - 2ik\frac{\delta G}{\delta z}[/tex]
    and confirm that the below was a solution
    [tex]G(r, \omega) =\frac{1}{s^2(z)}exp[-\frac{x^2+y^2}{s^2(z)}][/tex]
    where [tex]s^2(z) = w_0^2 - \frac{2iz}{k}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have to find an equation of the form.

[tex]G = Re^{i\phi}[/tex]
    [tex]phase = \phi[/tex]
    where R = radius of curvature

The complex parts are confusing, the solution/equation isn't spherical so I'm a bit stuck on where to start.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2

turin

Homework Helper

I considered the more general algebraic problem of finding the expression for the constant phase of

[tex]
    G=\frac{1}{a-ib}\exp\left(-\frac{c}{a-ib}\right)
    [/tex]

I first do the conjugate multiplication thing, so that I'm dealing with sums of real and imaginary parts.

[tex]
    G=\left(\frac{a}{a^2+b^2}+i\frac{b}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}-i\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)
    [/tex]

Then I factorize, with my eye on the prize.

[tex]
    G=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\exp\left(i\arctan\frac{b}{a}\right)\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(-i\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)
    [/tex]

Finally, I collect factors so that I have the standard polar form.

[tex]
    G=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\exp\left(-\frac{ca}{a^2+b^2}\right)\exp\left(i\left(\arctan\frac{b}{a}-\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}\right)\right)
    [/tex]

So, a constant phase would require the transcendental equation to be satisfied.

[tex]
    \arctan\frac{b}{a}-\frac{cb}{a^2+b^2}=\textrm{constant}
    [/tex]

Perhaps the paraxial approximation allows the [itex]\arctan[/itex] to be approximated so that the equation becomes solvable ...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    Thanks. Very clever piece of factorising there :). The lecturer said not to be concerned with a long equation.

5. Dec 1, 2008 #4

turin

Homework Helper

I wouldn't call that result "a long equation" (even though it is unsolvable). Are you looking for something simpler?

6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    Shouldn't of said long without a reference if I'm studying physics really :). The paraxial approximation allows the small angle approximation to be used.

7. Dec 1, 2008 #6

turin

Homework Helper

I believe you mean

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?