Maximum Charge on Parallel-Plate Capacitor with Mica Dielectric

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum charge that can be stored in a parallel-plate capacitor made from two aluminum-foil sheets and a mica strip. The dimensions of the aluminum-foil sheets and the thickness of the mica strip are given, as well as the dielectric constant and dielectric strength of mica. To find the maximum charge, one would need to find the area of the capacitor and use it to calculate the capacitance. From there, the maximum charge can be determined using the equation Q = CV.
JennV

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor is made from two aluminum-foil sheets, each 3.80cm wide and 15.0m long. Between the sheets is a mica strip of the same width and length that is 0.0225mm thick.

What is the maximum charge that can be stored in this capacitor? (The dielectric constant of mica is 5.4, and its dielectric strength is 1.00*10^8 V/m).

Homework Equations

C = k(Eo*A)/d
V = Ed = (Eo/K)*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to start this question. I know that I would need to find A through all the dimernsions givens, but the mica strip between the sheets is confusing me, I'm not sure how to find A. I'm really confused and would appreciate it if someone can give me some guidance. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A does not depend upon anything but the dimensions given. So what is A in square meters? Given A and the separation of the plates (thickness of the mica dielectric), what would be the capacity of the capacitor?

What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electrical component that consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical charge and is commonly found in electronic circuits.

How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates, which causes a separation of positive and negative charges on each plate. This stored electrical charge can be used to do work in a circuit.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. Increasing the plate area or decreasing the plate distance will increase the capacitance, while a higher dielectric constant will also increase the capacitance.

What are some real-world applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, radios, and televisions. They are also used in power grid systems and electric motors for energy storage and regulation.

How do parallel plate capacitors differ from other types of capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors differ from other types of capacitors in their construction and design. They have two flat parallel plates as opposed to cylindrical or spherical plates, and they typically have a higher capacitance due to their larger surface area.