1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parity of wavefunctions

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A quantum harmonic oscillator is in a superposition of states(below):
    [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] ([itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t) + \Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex]

[itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi(x) * e^{-iwt/2} [/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi_{1}(x) * e^{-i3wt/2} [/itex]

Show that <x> = C cos(wt) ...

2. Relevant equations

Negative parity: f(-x) = -f(x)
    Positive parity : f(x) = f(-x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    On the mark schemes it shows that x|ψ(x)^2| = -(-x|ψ(-x)^2) are asymmetric functions,so when I expand the integral they should vanish,however, I thought that normalization condition allows the integral to be definite i.e = 1.

I have a very basic understanding of parity, it would be great if someone could explain to me just what role it plays.

P.S I have looked around for resources,and so far I have gathered that there are two distinct eigen-values when parity operator works(+-1).

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 232.PNG
      232.PNG
      File size:
      18.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2
    Would you be able to show at least some work? Write out the terms in [itex]\left\langle\psi \left|x\right| \psi \right>[/itex].

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex], then what is
    [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) dx[/itex] ?

if [itex]f(x) = - f(-x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = g(-x)[/itex], what is
    [itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)g(x) dx[/itex] ?

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're comparing two different integrals. The normalization condition is
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx = 1$$ while the integral from the expectation value is
    $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty x\lvert \psi(x) \rvert^2\,dx.$$ Why would you think the first integral precludes the second one from vanishing? They have different integrands.

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4
    I was in a rush hence my lack of input.

Here is what I get after expansion:

[itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] = 1/[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] ([itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t) + \Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex]

[itex]\Psi_{0}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi(x) e^{-iwt/2} [/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{1}(x,t)[/itex] = [itex]\Phi_{1}(x) e^{-i3wt/2} [/itex]

[itex]\left\langle\psi \left|x\right| \psi \right> = 1/\sqrt{2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx [ x (\Phi_{0}\Phi_{1} + \Phi_{0}\Phi_{1}e^{-i\omega t} + \Phi_{1}\Phi_{0}e^{i\omega t} + \Phi_{1}\Phi_{1} [/itex]]

I understand that the integrand of a product of even-odd function is zero,but I still don't see why the two integrals above vanish,are they assumed to be asymmetric, is there any justification?

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5
    Actually... I think I get it now...
    (below is what I think happens}

Is it because [itex] \Phi(x)[/itex] = [itex] -\Phi(-x)[/itex](odd) and f(x) = f(-x) (even)...
    Integral of odd*even = integral of odd = zero .
    Also for the other two integrals(with exponential) they are defined as "symmetric limited function", something I am not familiar with.

I appreciate the responses.

EDIT: I was just restating the properties of odd/even functions,don't know why I had integral put in(fixed),sorry.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  7. Apr 12, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What is that notation even supposed to mean?

8. Apr 12, 2013 #7
    Hi vela
    I have fixed few typos so it should be clear now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  9. Jun 25, 2013 #8
    Hi
    Good thinking but not so much & clear definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted