Parker 61 Fountain Pen: Understand Its Capillary Action

• Thread starter physicsisphirst
  • Start date
In summary: Summary, This is a unique fountain pen from the 60s that fills by dipping the solid one piece 'cartridge' into ink through capillary action. When the pen is kept right side up, the nib is ready to write immediately. However, when kept upside down, no ink flows to the nib despite the seeming gravitational advantage. The shape of the meniscus may be altered at both ends when the pen is upside down, causing capillary action to stop and ink to not flow to the nib. This suggests an asymmetry in the capillary tubes, possibly causing ink to only flow one way.
physicsisphirst
this is a unique fountain pen from the 60s in that you don't squeeze anything to get ink into it. you just dip the solid one piece 'cartridge' into the ink and it fills, presumably through capillary action - i don't know what's inside, but i doubt if it is a sponge to have lasted all these years.

now if i keep the pen rightside up (the way you'd carry it on the clip in your pocket), i can write with it immediately. if i keep it upside down, no ink makes it to the nib despite the seeming gravitational advantage.

if the instrument works on capillary action, the meniscus needs to be concave up in order for the surface tension to cause the ink to flow upwards against gravity. if we turn the pen downwards, the same capillary action will presumably cause the ink to go in the other direction despite gravity.

the only difficulty I'm having with the above reasoning is that when upsidedown

1. the ink doesn't flow out of the other end or flow to the nib
2. the full-weight of the ink is towards the nib, but doesn't make any progress to it

what I'm wondering is whether when upsidedown, the shape of the meniscus is sufficiently altered at both ends (though i don't know if it is correct to call it a meniscus at the bottom) so that capillary action stops completely.

if so, this would seem to suggest an asymmetry in the capillary tubes perhaps (may be they narrow with proximity to the nib?), so that ink goes only one way?

ideas or explanations?

in friendship,
prad

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsisphirst said:
now if i keep the pen rightside up (the way you'd carry it on the clip in your pocket), i can write with it immediately. if i keep it upside down, no ink makes it to the nib despite the seeming gravitational advantage.

Why would there be any "gravitational advantage" to the flow of ink in an upside down pen?

pallidin said:
Why would there be any "gravitational advantage" to the flow of ink in an upside down pen?

i meant just towards the nib, pallidin.
presumably with an upside down pen, gravity would pull the ink towards the nib which it does for regular fountain pens and ball points (which don't write too well when the nib is pointing up).

in friendship,
prad

physicsisphirst said:
i meant just towards the nib, pallidin.
presumably with an upside down pen, gravity would pull the ink towards the nib which it does for regular fountain pens and ball points (which don't write too well when the nib is pointing up).

in friendship,
prad

Doesn't "upside-down" mean the nib would be the uppermost part of the pen? Then gravity would pull ink downward, away from the nib.

What am I missing?

Redbelly98 said:
Doesn't "upside-down" mean the nib would be the uppermost part of the pen? Then gravity would pull ink downward, away from the nib.

What am I missing?

we just have a discrepancy regarding interpretation of orientation. let me rephrase it.

if the nib is pointing down, i would think gravity would pull the ink towards the nib - which it doesn't seem to be succeeding in doing if we just leave the pen lying around with the nib pointing down.

if the nib is pointing up, gravity would pull the ink away from the nib, but it seems the capillary action overcomes this drawback and the ink makes it into the nib anyway.

in friendship,
prad

physicsisphirst said:
we just have a discrepancy regarding interpretation of orientation.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think it's important for those posting questions to phrase their questions in a way that is commonly accepted.
For example, the "normal" orientation of a pen is either horozontal(such as on a table), or vertical(such as in a pen-holder) whereas in that last case the nib points downward.

Therefore, a normal vertical orientation of pen is that the nib points downward.
Thus, an "upside-down" pen infers(to the general public) that the nib is at the top.

You presented the exact opposite.

This is why we were confused.

I must say this, however, in your defense:
There are some pens which has a removable cap around the nib. The cap sometimes has a clip, which puts the nib in an inverted position when clipped on a pocket!
Yet, other pens have a clip mechanism on the opposite end to keep the nib pointing down

So, I understand your position. But my(and others) previous post still firmly stands.

pallidin,

i agree with you and apologize for causing this confusion.

i wrote
"i keep the pen rightside up (the way you'd carry it on the clip in your pocket)"
and it wasn't sufficiently clear especially since pens do have clips in various places though i have never seen a fountain pen that is carried nib downwards in a pocket - i wonder what the consequences of doing so might be for pens other than the parker 61, but I'm not going to try it.

so if the orientation issue is clear now:

1. when the nib points up, the ink flows to the nib.
2. when the nib points down (for extended periods of time) the nib seems to dry up.

are there any ideas as to why this might be happening?

in friendship,
prad

physicsisphirst said:
1. when the nib points up, the ink flows to the nib.
2. when the nib points down (for extended periods of time) the nib seems to dry up.

No need to apologize. We are all here for learning and sharing!

For 1 and 2 why could it not be said:
1: when the nib points up(for extended periods of time) the nib seems to dry up.
2: when the nib points down, the ink flows to the nib.

well palladin, it's not that it couldn't be said, it's that it doesn't happen at least for this pen which i think works on capillary action. the exact opposite happens as i outlined.

i think it could be the way you state it though for a squeeze or cartridge fountain pen and definitely for a ballpoint (though that's really a different story).

in friendship,
prad

physicsisphirst said:
...though i have never seen a fountain pen that is carried nib downwards in a pocket

Sure you have. Like those pens which you have to twist in order to extend the nib.
The clip(in this case) is always on the opposite end of the pen from the retractable nib, thus keeping the nib downwards while clipped.

Hmmm. Maybe I am unfamiliar with your specific type of pen.
If so, my mistake!

The original reason as to why pens were inverted(with the nib up) had nothing to do with promoting ink flow for writing, rather, had everything to do with helping to prevent ink-leakage onto a garment.

Last edited:
In fact, ink flow is never promoted in an inverse capillary situation. It is reduced.

I think I know what the root problem is now.
Capillary action is not specifically dependent on gravity, but it is affected by it.

Take two capillary-drawn ink pens. One with the nib pointed-up and the other pointed down.

Over brief time, the one pointed-down will have an ink saturation in the nib far in excess of the one pointed-up, due solely to gravitational effects.

What is a Parker 61 Fountain Pen?

A Parker 61 Fountain Pen is a writing instrument that was produced by the Parker Pen Company from 1956 to 1978. It is known for its unique capillary action filling system that allows for continuous ink flow without the need for a traditional ink cartridge or converter.

How does the capillary action filling system work?

The Parker 61 Fountain Pen has a capillary tube running through the length of the pen, which connects the nib to a reservoir of ink. When the pen is dipped in ink, the capillary action draws the ink up the tube and into the reservoir, allowing for a continuous flow of ink to the nib.

What makes the Parker 61 Fountain Pen different from other fountain pens?

The Parker 61 Fountain Pen's capillary action filling system eliminates the need for a traditional ink cartridge or converter, making it a more convenient and mess-free option for fountain pen enthusiasts. It also has a unique design and construction, with a hooded nib and a metal cap that snaps onto the pen instead of screwing on.

Is the Parker 61 Fountain Pen still in production?

No, the Parker 61 Fountain Pen has been discontinued since 1978. However, there are still many vintage Parker 61 pens available for purchase through antique shops, online marketplaces, and collector's clubs.

How do I maintain and care for my Parker 61 Fountain Pen?

To maintain your Parker 61 Fountain Pen, it is recommended to clean it regularly by flushing it with water or a specialized pen cleaner. It is also important to store the pen with the nib facing up to prevent ink from drying out and clogging the capillary tube. Additionally, it is best to avoid using abrasive materials when cleaning the pen to prevent damage to the delicate capillary tube.

Back