Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parking ticket

1. Jul 14, 2004 #1
    If I have an unpaid parking ticket (parking meter violation) and I go to trade in my car, will I have to pay that before the dealer will buy back the car? The ticket was originally only for $10, but I think it's up to $35, since it's more than 30 days past the required payment date. If I just sent them $10, do you think they'd just accept that? It's not much more 30 days past due.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you think yourself :eek:

4. Jul 15, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, you never know. I would definitely follow through and make sure one way or the other.

5. Jul 15, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

Just tell them it got stuck in the post... actually you cant, they rubber stamp letters with the date of sending dont they?

6. Jul 15, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The car dealer doesn't care how many tickets you got with the car; he has nothing to do with law enforcement.

- Warren

7. Jul 15, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

True. Also, the parking ticket is linked to the license plate (registration) which will change once the vehicle is sold, so it doesn't matter.

The ticket though, if it continues to go unpaid will haunt you for the rest of your life. :devil: :biggrin:

8. Jul 15, 2004 #7

arivero

Gold Member

According the vision of North America that is projected toward us Europeans via spam and various propaganda, you will be blacklisted in a debt list that will torment you all of your life, not being able to use your credit cards nor your paychecks nor your own parole-of-honour until you change name or, alternatively, you buy a "get free of debt" card which is sold clicking in a banner above in the webpage.

9. Jul 15, 2004 #8

Njorl

Science Advisor

Car dealers often process the registration for new vehicles. If you have a ticket, the MVA might put a hold on your new tags. You'll still get a temp tag, so you'll be able to drive your new car off the lot.

If you're transferring tags, it probably won't come up.

I suppose it might raise a red flag when they process your title. They will still title the car, but they might hold onto it. They probably won't though. You could probably rack up a few hundred in tickets before anything bad happens.

Njorl

10. Jul 15, 2004 #9

Gza

How many unpaid tickets do you need before they take your car? I swear I have like 60. And they're 30 bucks a piece. :redface:

11. Jul 15, 2004 #10

Evo

I would suggest being VERY NICE to any and all policemen you encounter. If they don't like you, they can boot your car for unpaid tickets, I believe.

The next time parking ticket ticket amnesty is available in your area, I suggest you pay up. (cities occasionally give amnesty, meaning you can just pay the original amount of the ticket with no penalties).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  12. Jul 15, 2004 #11
    Ha! My parents found the ticket sitting on my dresser and now they're demanding I pay it.

"You can't just not pay the ticket!"
    "Really? It seems to be working pretty well."

13. Jul 15, 2004 #12

Evo

You are too funny! :biggrin:

14. Jul 15, 2004 #13
    I say, if, in the process of trading in the car, the dealer informs me that I have a parking ticket which must be paid before the tags and title and so forth are granted, then I will pay it the ticket, otherwise...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?