Parking ticket

• Thread starter zk4586
  • Start date
If I have an unpaid parking ticket (parking meter violation) and I go to trade in my car, will I have to pay that before the dealer will buy back the car? The ticket was originally only for $10, but I think it's up to $35, since it's more than 30 days past the required payment date. If I just sent them $10, do you think they'd just accept that? It's not much more 30 days past due.

Answers and Replies

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you think yourself :eek:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zk4586 said:
If I just sent them $10, do you think they'd just accept that? It's not much more 30 days past due.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, you never know. I would definitely follow through and make sure one way or the other.

jimmy p
Gold Member
Just tell them it got stuck in the post... actually you cant, they rubber stamp letters with the date of sending dont they?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The car dealer doesn't care how many tickets you got with the car; he has nothing to do with law enforcement.

- Warren

Evo
Mentor
chroot said:
The car dealer doesn't care how many tickets you got with the car; he has nothing to do with law enforcement.

- Warren
True. Also, the parking ticket is linked to the license plate (registration) which will change once the vehicle is sold, so it doesn't matter.

The ticket though, if it continues to go unpaid will haunt you for the rest of your life. :devil: :biggrin:

arivero
Gold Member
Evo said:
The ticket though, if it continues to go unpaid will haunt you for the rest of your life. :devil: :biggrin:
According the vision of North America that is projected toward us Europeans via spam and various propaganda, you will be blacklisted in a debt list that will torment you all of your life, not being able to use your credit cards nor your paychecks nor your own parole-of-honour until you change name or, alternatively, you buy a "get free of debt" card which is sold clicking in a banner above in the webpage.

Njorl
Science Advisor
Car dealers often process the registration for new vehicles. If you have a ticket, the MVA might put a hold on your new tags. You'll still get a temp tag, so you'll be able to drive your new car off the lot.

If you're transferring tags, it probably won't come up.

I suppose it might raise a red flag when they process your title. They will still title the car, but they might hold onto it. They probably won't though. You could probably rack up a few hundred in tickets before anything bad happens.

Njorl

Gza
How many unpaid tickets do you need before they take your car? I swear I have like 60. And they're 30 bucks a piece. :redface:

Evo
Mentor
Gza said:
How many unpaid tickets do you need before they take your car? I swear I have like 60. And they're 30 bucks a piece. :redface:
I would suggest being VERY NICE to any and all policemen you encounter. If they don't like you, they can boot your car for unpaid tickets, I believe.

The next time parking ticket ticket amnesty is available in your area, I suggest you pay up. (cities occasionally give amnesty, meaning you can just pay the original amount of the ticket with no penalties).

Last edited:
Ha! My parents found the ticket sitting on my dresser and now they're demanding I pay it.

"You can't just not pay the ticket!"
"Really? It seems to be working pretty well."

Evo
Mentor
zk4586 said:
Ha! My parents found the ticket sitting on my dresser and now they're demanding I pay it.

"You can't just not pay the ticket!"
"Really? It seems to be working pretty well."
You are too funny! :biggrin:

I say, if, in the process of trading in the car, the dealer informs me that I have a parking ticket which must be paid before the tags and title and so forth are granted, then I will pay it the ticket, otherwise...