Are Parkinson's Tremors Linked to Mechanical Vibration in the Environment?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Far Star
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of mechanical vibration in the immediate environment being a cause or trigger for Parkinson's tremors. The physiological explanation for the tremors is also mentioned. However, it is unclear if any studies have been done on the correlation between tremor rhythm and mechanical vibration. The person asking the question is unsure if they have phrased it correctly and wonders if there is any research on this topic.
Far Star
Does anyone know if Parkinson's tremors have ever been studied in relation to mechanical vibration in the persons immediate environment?

Biology news on Phys.org
As in mechanical vibration being a cause of it? No, can't say that I've heard any.

I was thinking more along the line of the tremors or nodding being in tune with mechanical vibration in their environment. Though the possibility of it being part of the cause and effect is interesting to consider. Of course that's probably what you answered. Just to clarify because I may have bungled the question-

Let's say someone with Parkinson's is stressed or anxious and begins to nod or tremble. Has anyone studied the visible physiological movement in relation to, let's say, the sound and vibration produced by a refrigeration unit, or similar object, in their immediate environment?

The parkinsonian tremor can be explained physiologically... The death of the dopaminergic neurones from the substantia niagra to the stiatum causes increased activity of the acetylcholine neurones in the striatum, which causes the resting tremor...

When someone with parkinson's moves the resting tremor goes away...

I'm not sure what you are asking but i don't see how sound or vibration will have any effect...

Last edited:
Revenged, thank you for your response.

I'm not suggesting cause and effect. My question is whether anyone has ever measured tremor rhythm against that of mechanical vibration present in the immediate environment.

Can anyone help me out with how I've phased the question, or should I stop digging now that I've dug this particular trench? :<)

Tbh, I don't know...

What is the connection between Parkinson's disease and the environment?

There is evidence that environmental factors, such as exposure to certain toxins, may play a role in the development of Parkinson's disease. However, the exact nature of this connection is not fully understood.

What are some environmental toxins that have been linked to Parkinson's disease?

Some studies have suggested a link between exposure to pesticides, herbicides, and industrial chemicals and an increased risk of developing Parkinson's disease. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.

Can environmental factors contribute to the progression of Parkinson's disease?

While the underlying cause of Parkinson's disease is still unknown, some studies have suggested that certain environmental factors may contribute to the progression of the disease. These factors may include exposure to certain toxins or living in areas with high levels of air pollution.

Is there a way to reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease through environmental changes?

There is currently no definitive evidence that making environmental changes can reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease. However, leading a healthy lifestyle, including avoiding exposure to potential toxins, may help to lower the risk.

What further research is needed to better understand the link between Parkinson's disease and the environment?

More research is needed to fully understand the role of environmental factors in the development and progression of Parkinson's disease. This may include studying the impact of specific toxins and investigating potential preventive measures.