Finding Centroid and Second Moment of Area for Complex Sections

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the position of the centroid and calculating the second moment of area for a given shape. The equations A x Y(bar) and IX are mentioned, but there is confusion about the value of Y(bar). The shape is described as symmetric, with dimensions of 20mm at the bottom to 120mm at the top and 10mm on the left to 80mm on the right. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and help.
Chantry09
Im having a hard time getting my head around this, any help would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Determine the position of the centroid and calculate the second moment of area about a horizontal axis passing through the centroid for the following sections shown. Attached is the image of the shape, including dimensions.

Homework Equations

A x Y(bar) = (A1 x Y1) + (A2 x Y2)
IX = Ix + Ah(squared) [Not sure if this equation is correct]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Y(bar) to equal 40mm for the attached shape. However i don't know how to get from the y(bar) to the position of the centriod. The answer should be 862000.0mm, i just don't know how to get there, everything i try comes up with a different result.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have me confused! (Not all that difficult.) In most textbooks, "Y(bar)" ([itex]\overline{Y}[/tex]) means the y-component of centroid. I, frankly, don't see how you could have gotten 40 mm. That's only a little bit above the bottom line. You do understand, don't you, that the "centroid" of a figure is the geometric center? If this, very symmetric, figure goes from 20 mm at the bottom to 120 mm at the top, 10mm on the left to 80 on the right, where do you think center is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/16/1615993-0.png is what i meant, i couldn't find the symbol. My diagram might not be clear, but the height is 80mm and considering its symetric in the x and y direction i thought [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/16/1615993-0.png = 1/2 total height?

Is that not right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. On my hands and knees here guys :S

What is the Parrelle Axis Theorem?

The Parrelle Axis Theorem is a mathematical equation that relates the moment of inertia of an object to its distance from a parallel axis. It states that the moment of inertia of an object about an axis parallel to its center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the object's center of mass plus the product of the object's mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

Why is the Parrelle Axis Theorem important?

The Parrelle Axis Theorem is important because it allows for the calculation of the moment of inertia of an object about any axis that is parallel to its center of mass. This is useful in many engineering and physics applications, such as determining the stability of a spinning object or designing a rotating machine.

How is the Parrelle Axis Theorem derived?

The Parrelle Axis Theorem can be derived using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of an object about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the object's center of mass plus the product of the object's mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. By substituting the moment of inertia of an object about its center of mass into this equation, the Parrelle Axis Theorem can be derived.

What are the limitations of the Parrelle Axis Theorem?

The Parrelle Axis Theorem is only valid for rigid bodies that have a constant mass and density distribution. It also assumes that the object is rotating about an axis that is parallel to its center of mass. Additionally, it does not take into account any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

How is the Parrelle Axis Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Parrelle Axis Theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics applications, such as designing rotating machinery, analyzing the stability of spinning objects, and calculating the moment of inertia of complex objects. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as gyroscope stabilization systems and satellite navigation systems.