How can I simulate Parrondo's games in NetLogo?

• Thread starter valesdn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, Parrondo's paradox shows that if you play two games, one of which is a coin toss and the other of which has a chance element, the game with the chance element will lose more often than the coin toss game.
valesdn
Hi guys, how do you do?
I'm sorry to ask your help, (again!) but I'm having trouble using NetLogo.
I'd like to "play" with this program, to run simulations, but I have no idea how I can do it.
I wrote an article about Parrondo's games ( nothing special! ). Now, I'd like to try creating a new code for my simulations. Could you tell me what I need?
I'm looking for tutorial online (youtube and all the sites about this argument), but it is not enough.
Thanks in advance for your advices!

Technology news on Phys.org
NetLogo is quite an interesting language. Especially if you have a background in graph theory.

If you need an extensive intro, here is the official NetLogo 5.2 user manual: http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/docs/

If you want more information, see this NetLogo tutorial written by Alan G. Isaac: https://subversion.american.edu/aisaac/notes/netlogo-intro.xhtml

If you are a programmer with experience, and just want to jump right in, see the NetLogo quick start guide: http://luis.izqui.org/resources/NetLogo-5-0-QuickGuide.pdf

Hi Zondrina, thank you for answering me.
I have read the user manual on the official site of NetLogo, but it is not enough (too simple) for what I need.
I found very interesting the second link that you have selected for me.
I used to do programming in C but it was a long time ago and I don't remember nothing more.
I don't understand how I should to set up my "exercise". I'm going to look into Parrondo's paradox ( there are no tutorials on youtube): I know that game A and game B are losing games when played in isolation. Game A is a simple coin toss; game B is composed of two coins: the first one is "good", the second one is "bad".
When I switch periodically or randomly between the two losing games, surprisingly, I win.
How could I sketch out this? ( I need to put my minds - and last words - into order :)
I'm going to try to do that.

1. What are Parrondo's games in Netlogo?

Parrondo's games in Netlogo are a set of two games that, when played separately, result in a losing outcome. However, when played alternately, they can lead to a winning outcome. These games were first described by Juan Parrondo in 1996 and have been used in various studies to demonstrate the concept of Parrondo's paradox.

2. How do Parrondo's games work in Netlogo?

In Netlogo, the two games are represented as a set of rules and variables that govern the behavior of agents in a simulation. The first game, known as Game A, involves a coin toss with a biased coin that has a higher probability of landing on heads. The second game, Game B, involves a similar coin toss with a biased coin that has a higher probability of landing on tails. When played alternately, the games result in a winning outcome due to the combination of the biased coin and the rules of the games.

3. What is Parrondo's paradox and how does it relate to Netlogo?

Parrondo's paradox is a counterintuitive phenomenon in which the combination of two losing games can lead to a winning outcome. In Netlogo, this paradox is demonstrated through the use of Parrondo's games, where individually both games result in a losing outcome, but when played alternatively, they lead to a winning outcome. This paradox challenges traditional assumptions about winning strategies and has implications in various fields, including economics and biology.

4. What is the significance of Parrondo's games in Netlogo?

The significance of Parrondo's games in Netlogo lies in its ability to demonstrate complex concepts, such as Parrondo's paradox, through a simple simulation. It allows for the exploration of the relationship between seemingly unrelated variables and the emergence of unexpected patterns. This has implications in various fields, including game theory, evolutionary biology, and artificial intelligence.

5. How can Parrondo's games in Netlogo be used in scientific research?

Parrondo's games in Netlogo have been used in various scientific studies to investigate the emergence of complex behaviors and patterns. They have also been used to test theories and hypotheses related to game theory, evolution, and artificial intelligence. Additionally, Netlogo allows for the easy manipulation of variables and rules, making it a useful tool for conducting simulations and exploring different scenarios.