1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Part time IT job

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok im going for a BS and later grad school for Physics but i was wondering something. Is there a such thing as a part time IT job where the pay isnt minimum wage but doesnt require much more then say, an A+ certification and Server+ or Network+ (forgot which of the last 2 is the advanced one... i want the less-advanced one there)? Since i feel comfortable around computers, I think it woudl be a nice part-time job to help pay for school and such instead of flippen burgers or worken at walmart.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2005 #2
    I'm not sure what the IT sector looks like in your area right now, but in Michigan, the short answer would be yes. However, most of the ads that I see in my area want 5+ years experience and very specific qualifications.
    There are so many IT professionals out of work right now, employers know they can find someone with lots of skills and experience for low pay.

Have you considered doing it on your own? You can easily charge $40 to $60 per hour and seriously undercut anyone that has to pay for a building by about 50%. If your good and fast, you won't have much trouble getting and keeping enough clients to provide a decent part time income.

4. Jul 22, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Sure, being a sorta sub-contractor would b ecool. What do you mean by "pay for a building by about 50%" if i may ask.

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Dang, we need a chat room for dumb stuff like my questin

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5
    What type of pay are you looking for? I answer tech support calls at the univerisy's IT support center. Student wage pay might not be enough for you.

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Not minimum wage :D Thats pretty much it i suppose

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7
    Most places around here charge between $80 and $120 an hour for onsite service, this is largely because they have to pay rent on a building for their business. When I do side jobs, I usually charge $50 an hour. I have no overhead to deal with, I can really charge whatever I want, as long as it's enough to motivate me to do the job. If your going to do it as a sub contractor, you should set up a LLC to protect yourself from being sued.

9. Jul 22, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Pfff, $10 an hour would make it worth my while :D Or well, not really... but you get the picture. Im not sure i wanna try to startup anything again with all these legal adn tax things to deal with :-/.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?