Part-Time IT Job: Network+/Server+ Certification

In summary, there is a chance that you can find a part-time IT job that does not pay minimum wage, but requires less experience and certification than what is typically sought. Pay rates for on-site services vary, but generally range from $80 to $120 per hour.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok I am going for a BS and later grad school for Physics but i was wondering something. Is there a such thing as a part time IT job where the pay isn't minimum wage but doesn't require much more then say, an A+ certification and Server+ or Network+ (forgot which of the last 2 is the advanced one... i want the less-advanced one there)? Since i feel comfortable around computers, I think it woudl be a nice part-time job to help pay for school and such instead of flippen burgers or worken at walmart.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the IT sector looks like in your area right now, but in Michigan, the short answer would be yes. However, most of the ads that I see in my area want 5+ years experience and very specific qualifications.
There are so many IT professionals out of work right now, employers know they can find someone with lots of skills and experience for low pay.

Have you considered doing it on your own? You can easily charge $40 to $60 per hour and seriously undercut anyone that has to pay for a building by about 50%. If your good and fast, you won't have much trouble getting and keeping enough clients to provide a decent part time income.

Sure, being a sort of sub-contractor would b ecool. What do you mean by "pay for a building by about 50%" if i may ask.

Dang, we need a chat room for dumb stuff like my questin

What type of pay are you looking for? I answer tech support calls at the univerisy's IT support center. Student wage pay might not be enough for you.

Not minimum wage :D Thats pretty much it i suppose

Most places around here charge between $80 and $120 an hour for onsite service, this is largely because they have to pay rent on a building for their business. When I do side jobs, I usually charge $50 an hour. I have no overhead to deal with, I can really charge whatever I want, as long as it's enough to motivate me to do the job. If your going to do it as a sub contractor, you should set up a LLC to protect yourself from being sued.

Pfff, $10 an hour would make it worth my while :D Or well, not really... but you get the picture. I am not sure i want to try to startup anything again with all these legal adn tax things to deal with :-/.

1. What is Network+/Server+ Certification?

Network+/Server+ Certification is a professional certification program that is designed for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in the field of information technology (IT). This certification focuses on the fundamental skills and knowledge required to design, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain network and server systems.

2. Why is Network+/Server+ Certification important for a part-time IT job?

Having a Network+/Server+ Certification is important for a part-time IT job because it demonstrates to potential employers that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to effectively manage and maintain network and server systems. This certification can also help you stand out from other candidates and increase your chances of getting hired for a part-time IT job.

3. How long does it take to obtain Network+/Server+ Certification?

The time it takes to obtain Network+/Server+ Certification can vary depending on individual study habits and the amount of time dedicated to studying. On average, it can take approximately 3-6 months to prepare for and pass the required exams for this certification.

4. What are the requirements for obtaining Network+/Server+ Certification?

The requirements for obtaining Network+/Server+ Certification include passing two exams: CompTIA Network+ (N10-007) and CompTIA Server+ (SK0-004). There are no prerequisites for taking these exams, but it is recommended to have at least 9-12 months of networking and server experience before attempting the exams.

5. Is Network+/Server+ Certification recognized by employers?

Yes, Network+/Server+ Certification is recognized by many employers in the IT industry. This certification is offered by CompTIA, a highly reputable organization, and is widely recognized as a valuable credential for individuals seeking employment in the field of IT. Many employers specifically look for candidates with this certification when hiring for network and server related roles.