Speed Up Your Computer: Get Online Faster

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with long load times on computers, particularly when trying to get online. The idea of a partial boot operating system is proposed, where only the necessary programs for getting online would load first, with the rest being delayed until resources are available. The mention of LinuxBios, a software developed for fast booting, is also brought up. The conversation also suggests optimizing the boot times by using a minimalistic desktop and customizing the system's startup programs. The idea of using a cell phone instead of a computer for faster online access is also mentioned.
BicycleTree
Personally, the thing that bothers me most about the computers I use is load time. When I boot the computer up I usually want to go online immediately. I don't want all the other utilities that boot, I don't care about the background, I don't care about anything except what is required to get me online. I do care about antivirus software, but I don't want to be waiting for the volume control to load before my dialer and browser will start.

So how about partial boot? I wonder if it would be difficult to construct an operating system that boots incrementally, with the objective of getting you to the point where you can start the programs that you use the most as rapidly as possible, putting everything else off until there are some resources available. Does this exist?

This would be a good idea also for programs in general--delay loading "features" until the very basics that allow the user to start working are already up.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If your running linux you can use LinuxBios.

http://www.linuxbios.org

This software was developed at Los Alamos National Laboratory for very fast booting (3 secs).

You'll want a distro like gentoo and a minimalistic desktop like flluxbox to get optimal boot times. Fluxbox is one of those window managers that loads up incredible fast. Almost instantenously.

The only bad thing about linuxbios is the limited hardware support. Your more than likely going to need to customize it for your system.

What you say is like this
ServerISP--yourOwnServer--computers you are booting
YourOwnServer runs all the time, after you finish booting up your PCs, you can directly go online without having to dial.
Your PCs should be well msconfig--regedit-ed to stop all unnecessary programs.
Set up instructions/utility software on your server to have them installed automatically on clients when the clients get booted.
Well, they are some things I can imagine right now, means I have never done that before, please try it out at your own risk!

If your using windows, go to start, run, type in msconfig and go to the startup tab.

Here you can tell which programs not to load up on startup. Make sure you iknow what your stopping however lol. Volume control loads up pretty much instantly, it just kinda is delayed in visually showing up so there's no reason to shut that down.

Well, I forgot to say that you could use a cell phone instead of a computer so that you could be online as fast as you like,...

1. How can I speed up my computer's internet connection?

To speed up your computer's internet connection, you can try the following methods:

• Clear your browser's cache and cookies
  • Disable any unnecessary browser extensions or plugins
  • Run a malware scan to remove any potential viruses or malware
  • Update your device drivers
  • Upgrade to a faster internet connection plan from your internet service provider

2. Why is my computer's internet connection so slow?

There are several potential reasons for a slow internet connection on your computer:

• Too many devices connected to the same network
  • Outdated device drivers
  • Malware or viruses affecting your system's performance
  • Hardware issues, such as a faulty router or modem
  • Older or slower internet connection plan

3. Are there any software programs that can help speed up my computer's internet connection?

Yes, there are several software programs available that claim to help speed up your computer's internet connection. However, it is important to research and choose a reputable program, as some may actually slow down your system or pose security risks.

4. Can upgrading my computer's hardware improve its internet speed?

In some cases, upgrading your computer's hardware, such as adding more RAM or a faster processor, can improve its overall performance and potentially increase internet speed. However, if the bottleneck is due to your internet connection plan or network issues, upgrading hardware may not have a significant impact.

5. Is there a way to test the speed of my internet connection?

Yes, there are several online tools available to test the speed of your internet connection. Some popular options include Ookla's Speedtest and Google's Internet Speed Test. These tests can provide valuable information about your internet connection's download and upload speeds, as well as latency and other factors that may affect your overall internet speed.