Solve for Triangle Area and Rate of Change at Time t0 | Geometry Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for finding the area of a triangle and how to calculate the rate of change of the area with respect to different variables. The area of the triangle at a specific time is found, as well as the rate of change with respect to b and θ. However, there is uncertainty about how to calculate the approximate change in area if angle theta is increased by one degree. Units are also noted as being important in these calculations.
brad sue
Hi,
I have a problem and I am stuck to one question:

The area of a triangle is given by the formula: A=1/2*b*c*sin(θ )

At time to, we have bo=10 inches, co=20inches, θo=pi/3

a) Find the area of the triangle at to
I found 50*sqrt(3)

b- find the rate of change of the area with respect to b at to.
I found 5*sqrt(3).

c) Find the rate of change of the area with respect with θ at to.
I found 50.

d) Using the rate found in part c) , calculate (by differentials) the approximate change in area if angle theta is increased by one degree.
I need help for this question. I do not know what to do here.

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that b is the hypotenuse and c is the leg
that adjoins the angle theta.

I notice that you have ignored the UNITS of these...
units are our friends, and keep us in the right dimension.

As the angle increases, b increases in length and the sine of theta increases.
Both of these will increase the area of the triangle.
When you find out how MUCH, it will have units: in^2 .

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A is the area, base is the length of the base of the triangle, and height is the height of the triangle.

2. How do I calculate the rate of change at time t0 for a triangle?

The rate of change at time t0 for a triangle can be calculated by finding the slope of the triangle's side at that specific time. This is done by dividing the change in the y-coordinate by the change in the x-coordinate.

3. What is the value of t0 in this problem?

In this problem, t0 represents the specific time at which the rate of change is being calculated. It is the independent variable in the equation and can be chosen by the researcher.

4. Can I use this problem to solve for the area and rate of change of any triangle?

Yes, this problem can be used to solve for the area and rate of change of any triangle as long as the necessary measurements (base, height, coordinates) are provided.

5. Can you provide an example of how to solve for the area and rate of change of a triangle using this problem?

Sure, let's say we have a triangle with a base of 5 units and a height of 4 units. The coordinates of the triangle's vertices are (0,0), (5,0), and (5,4). If we choose t0 to be 2 units, we can plug in the values into the formula to find the area and rate of change at that specific time. A = 1/2 * 5 * 4 = 10 units^2. The rate of change at t0 = 2 units can be calculated by finding the slope of the line connecting the points (2,0) and (2,4). This would be (4-0)/(2-0) = 2 units per unit of time.