1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial derivative and limits

1. Dec 10, 2017 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
    Hello . I have problems with two exercises .
    1.[tex]\lim_{t \to 0 } \frac{2v_1-t^2v_2^2}{|t| \sqrt{v_1^2+v_2^2} }[/tex]
    Here, I have to write when this limit will be exist.
    2.[tex]\lim_{(h,k) \to (0,0) } \frac{2hk}{(|h|^a+|k|^a) \cdot \sqrt{h^2+k^2} }[/tex]
    Here, I have to write for which [tex] a \in \mathbb{R}_+[/tex] this limit will equal to zero.
    I don't have ideas how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, in a fraction, as the denominator approaches zero, then the fraction becomes undefined, unless the numerator also approaches zero. So under what circumstances does the numerator go to zero as [itex]t \rightarrow 0[/itex]?

4. Dec 10, 2017 #3
    Yes. Now I know. When [tex] v_1=0[/tex] this limit will equal to zero.

5. Dec 10, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

But the limit is as t approaches 0. As far as the limit process is concerned, ##v_1## is just some constant. You can't arbitrarily say it's zero.

6. Dec 10, 2017 #5

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question was when (in what circumstances) the limit exists. When [itex]v_1 = 0[/itex] is a possible circumstance.

7. Dec 10, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the second one, I would use polar coordinates ##h = r \cos \theta, k = r \sin \theta##, so that we are taking the limit as ##r \to 0##.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted