Partial derivative chain rule

• Thread starter anatta
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A function is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfied the equation f(tx,ty) =t^(n) f(x,y), for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous 2nd order partial derivatives.

If f is homogeneous of degree n, show that df/dx (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y)

*Using df/dx for partial derviatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I've taken the partial derivatives of each side of the definition of homogeneous equation above, applying the chain rule (that's what section the problem is in). What I get is:

d/d(tx) (tx,ty) * t = t^n d/dx(x,y)

which simplifies to df/d(tx) (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y).

It feels like I'm done, but I can't figure out-conceptually or otherwise- why the partial derivative with respect to (tx) of f(tx,ty) is the same as the partial derivative with respect to x of f(tx,ty).

Thanks in advance for help!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A function is called homogeneous of degree n if it satisfied the equation f(tx,ty) =t^(n) f(x,y), for all t, where n is a positive integer and f has continuous 2nd order partial derivatives.

*Using df/dx for partial derviatives.

Basically I've taken the partial derivatives of each side of the definition of homogeneous equation above, applying the chain rule (that's what section the problem is in). What I get is:

d/d(tx) (tx,ty) * t = t^n d/dx(x,y)

which simplifies to df/d(tx) (tx,ty) = t^(n-1) df/dx(x,y).

It feels like I'm done, but I can't figure out-conceptually or otherwise- why the partial derivative with respect to (tx) of f(tx,ty) is the same as the partial derivative with respect to x of f(tx,ty).
It's not! [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial (tx)[/itex] is the same as [itex]\partial f(u,ty)/\partial u[/itex] for any variable u. [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial x= \partial f(xt,ty)/\partial (xt) \partial f(tx)\partial x[/itex].

In other words [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial x[/itex] is t times [itex]\partial f(tx,ty)/\partial (tx)[/itex].

Thanks in advance for help!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Yes, that's what I got when I applied the chain rule, although maybe my notation was confusing.

d(tx,ty)/d(tx) times t = t^n d(x,y)/dx
(the right side of the equation is the partial derivative with wrt x of the function given in the original definition)

once you divide by t you get

d(tx,ty)/d(tx) =t^(n-1) d(x,y)/dx

What I don't get is how to deal with the partial derivative w.r.t. (tx). The left side of the equation needs to be d(tx,ty) w.r.t to x for the requested proof.

Defennder
Homework Helper
Is this even true? Try it out for the case [tex]f(x,y) \ = \ xy^3 + x^2 y^2.[/tex]

Did you mean to say [tex]t^n \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x,y)[/tex] on the RHS instead? I assume t is an arbitrary constant.

You're right, it doesn't seem to work for the case you give. That is definitely how the problem is stated, though. It's from Stewart Calculus, 5ed, 14.6, #55. I guess it could be a typo...?