1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative chain rule

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    could someone show me how [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])= [itex]\frac{∂^2z}{∂u^2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex]

where z=z(u)

u=x+at

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##z## is only a function of ##u## so you might as well use ##z'(u)## instead of partials. I will denote ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}## as ##z'(u)##. Your equation then becomes$$
    \frac \partial {\partial t}z'(u) = \frac {d}{du}z'(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}
    =z''(u)\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}$$Isn't that exactly the chain rule on ##z'(u)##?

[Edit] Corrected some TeX partials vs d/dt symbols.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    i apologize, but can you please show me what you did step by step? i know how to apply the chain rule for functions when the function itself is actually given, ie the derivative of the function times the derivation of the inside. but i don't understand what we're doing now.

where did you get the d/du in the front from? and the ∂u/∂t that's behind z', that's just from the derivative of the inside right?

5. Oct 13, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##f## is a function of ##u## and ##u## is a function of ##x## and ##y## then ##f## is ultimately a function of ##x## and ##y##. It makes sense to ask for the partials of ##f## with respect to ##x## and ##y##. The corresponding chain rules are (I will use subscripts for partials to save typing): $$
    f_x = f'(u)u_x,~f_y = f'(u)u_y$$Note the use of the ' on ##f## since ##f## itself is a function of just one variable and the partial symbols on ##u## since it is a function of more than one variable. These formulas are almost certainly in your text.

Your problem is solved by applying one of these chain rules to ##z'(u)## with second variables ##x## and ##t## instead of ##x## and ##y##.

6. Oct 13, 2013 #5
    i understand z'(t)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex] and z'(x)=[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂x}[/itex]

i just don't understand the leap from that to this: [itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]

but 'u' is the intermediate variable. i don't know what to do with [itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex]. if it involved finding the partial of z with respect to x and t, i could just apply the chain rule like you say, but it's asking me to find the partial of z with respect to u, the intermediate variable. what can i do with that? i can't use x and y.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  7. Oct 13, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It becomes exactly what I showed you in post #2.

8. Oct 13, 2013 #7
    okay can you tell me if i did this correctly

[itex]\frac{∂}{∂t}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂t}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{∂}{∂u}[/itex]([itex]\frac{∂z}{∂u}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂u}{∂t}[/itex])

i basically just swapped the positions of the u and t in the beginning is this right?

if i swap the u and the t, aren't i applying clairaut's theorem? and if i am, then don't i need to prove that zut is continuous and ztu is continuous since that's the condition for which clairaut's theorem applies?

9. Oct 14, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is not the setting for Clairaut's theorem. I don't know why you are doing this. The answer to your question in your post #1 is that it is the chain rule I explained in post #4. That is where the formula comes from, and the proof of the chain rule is probably in your text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted