Partial Derivative Calculations for 2xy + 4yz + 5xz with Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving four variables (w, x, y, z) and two equations (w = 2xy + 4yz + 5xz and x = st), with given values for two of the variables (s = 5 and t = 1). The conversation goes on to apply the chain rule to find the partial derivative of w with respect to t, resulting in a final solution of 84e5+75. However, a mistake is made when substituting in the values for y and z, which are actually y = e^(st) and z = t^2, respectively.
olivia333

Homework Statement

w = 2xy + 4yz + 5xz
x = st
y = 3^(st)
z = t^2

s=5
t=1

Homework Equations

Chain rule: xy = x*y' + y*x'

The Attempt at a Solution

w = 2stest + 4test + 5st3

(partial derivatives) dw/dt = 2s2test + 2sest + 4tsst + 4est + 15st2

(partial derivatives) dw/dt (5,1) = 2(5)2e5 + 2*5e5 + 20e5 + 4e5 + 75

= 84e5+75

This is not correct. What did I mess up on? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you said, y = 3^(st), did you mean y = e^(st)?

Yes I did mean that, but I actually figured out what I did wrong. I subbed in a y as t and not t^2.

Your 4yz term is not correct.

EDIT: Yep, beat me to it.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is a way to measure how a function changes in different directions.

2. What is the notation for partial derivatives?

The notation for partial derivatives is similar to regular derivatives, but with the added subscripts to specify which variable is being held constant. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x would be written as ∂f/∂x.

3. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in question, treating all other variables as constants. This means you can use the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule, as long as you only differentiate with respect to the designated variable.

4. What is the significance of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to optimize functions, describe rates of change in multivariable systems, and solve partial differential equations. They also have applications in economics and finance.

5. How do you interpret a partial derivative geometrically?

Geometrically, a partial derivative represents the slope of the tangent line to a slice of the function in the direction of the designated variable. This can be visualized as a cross-section of the function, with all other variables held constant. The sign of the partial derivative indicates whether the function is increasing or decreasing in that direction.