Is the partial derivative for acceleration correctly solved?

In summary, the partial derivative for acceleration is correctly solved by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time. This results in a measure of the instantaneous change in acceleration over time, which is essential in understanding an object's motion. It is a crucial tool in many fields such as physics and engineering.
niteshadw
can anyone verify that the equations on the following page, http://nsr.f2o.org/equations.htm are corretly solved. The equations are used to find the uncertainity in the calculation of acceleration in my physics lab. The uncertinty (delta a) would be the sum of all of the four equations, which appear correct.

However, the last equation, solves for the uncertainty in g (delta g) which is gravity...I'm not sure how should I solve it using partial derivatives, on the bottom it has what h_21 and x_12 should be...any help would be much appreciated..thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you do in your lab to measure g? It sort of looks like you made two position measurements and two velocity measurements, with some uncertainty. There must be some time interval involved. Is there a time interval uncertainty? How is "a" different from "g"? Is not your calculated "a" an estimate of "g"?

People see the pdf of the lab, the equation is on last page (pg 10) Thank you! http://nsr.f2o.org/exp2.pdf

niteshadw said:
People see the pdf of the lab, the equation is on last page (pg 10) Thank you! http://nsr.f2o.org/exp2.pdf

The first four dequations in your original note attachement come from taking partial derivatives of equation 2-7 in the write-up. The first two are wrong. What is

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}x^2 [/tex]

You have not done the derivatives for your Equation 5. They come from equation 2-5 in the write-up

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

When do I use a partial derivative?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and economics, to analyze how a function changes when only one variable is allowed to vary.

How do I calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative is a derivative of a multivariable function, while a regular derivative is a derivative of a single variable function. In a partial derivative, all other variables are treated as constants, whereas in a regular derivative, only one variable is considered.

What is the purpose of a partial derivative?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes when only one variable is allowed to vary, which can provide valuable information in many scientific applications, such as optimization and modeling complex systems.