Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial Derivative Homework

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the function is not differentiable at (0,0).

f(x,y) = [ (xy)/(x2 + y2)(1/2) if (x,y) =/ (0,0)

[ 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the partial derivatives at point (0,0) = 0, so I don't know why the function is not differentiable at (0,0). Is there a certain equation that will help me prove that?

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You titled this "partial differential homework" but it is important to understand that has very little to do with partial derivatives. "Differentiable" is NOT a matter of having partial derivatives.

I think it is really important that you look up the definition of "differentiable" for functions of two variables. In Calculus of one variable, we typically define the "derivative" as a limit and then say that a function is "differentiable" if and only if that limit exists. In Calculus of more than one variable, it is standard to define "differentiable" separately from just the partial derivatives.

I know several equivalent definitions of "differentiable" for two variables but I don't know which one your textbook is using: look it up please.

4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi klopez! :smile:

It's because existence of partial derivatives ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y only prove differentiablity in the x and y directions.

Hint: try some other direction. :wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook