Partial derivative + Integration

In summary, you can solve Part 1 by taking the partial derivative of the given function and Part 2 by using integration by parts and the fact that integral of exp(-x^2)dx = sqrt(pi).
ronaldoshaky

Homework Statement

Part 1: I am trying to compute the partial derivative of exp (-ikx - ax^2) with respect to x

Part 2: i am trying to integrate, int (-ik - 2ax)*exp(-2ax^2) dx, with limits infinity and
- infinity

Homework Equations

part 1: see solution

part 2: i think integral of exp(-x^2)= sqrt(pi) should be used here.

The Attempt at a Solution

part 1: I worked out the partial derivative. I am not sure if its right.
(-ik - 2ax)*exp(-ikx - ax^2)

part 2: should i use integration by parts here. I don't know how to manipulate the expression.
can you multiply the power of an exponential [i.e.-2ax^2] in exp(-2ax^2) by 1/2a.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Part 1: The partial derivative of e^(-ikx-ax^2) with respect to x is (-ik-2ax)*e^(-ikx-ax^2).Part 2: Yes, you can use integration by parts here. Let u = -2ax^2 and dv = e^(-2ax^2)dx. Then du = -4ax dx and v = (1/2a)e^(-2ax^2). Therefore, the integral becomes (1/2a)*(1/2a)*e^(-2ax^2)|infinity to -infinity + 4a*int (1/2a)*e^(-2ax^2)dx. The second integral can be solved using the fact that integral of exp(-x^2)dx = sqrt(pi). Therefore, the final answer is (1/2a)*(1/2a)*e^(-2ax^2)|infinity to -infinity + sqrt(pi)*a.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This is denoted by the symbol ∂.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are useful in multivariate calculus and are used to analyze the behavior of a function with respect to one variable while keeping other variables fixed. They are also used in optimization problems and in physics and engineering applications.

4. What is integration?

Integration is the reverse process of differentiation. It involves finding the original function from its derivative. It is used to find the area under a curve, as well as to solve problems involving motion, work, and other real-world applications.

5. How are partial derivatives and integration related?

Partial derivatives and integration are related in that taking a partial derivative of a function is the same as finding the derivative of the integral of that function. They are also used together in multivariate optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.