1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative problem

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    Hi!
    Here is my function:

2ag2fia.jpg

My task is to find:

206irmv.jpg

I think I know how to find ∂u/∂x, but I have no idea how to find ∂/∂z(∂u/∂x). Here is how I found ∂u/∂x:

http://oi48.tinypic.com/prsly.jpg

Does someone know how to find ∂/∂z(∂u/∂x)?
    I appreciate any help :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2
    Before the second partial derivative, you should fix the error in your calculation of ∂u/∂x, specifically ∂([itex]\frac{xy}{z}[/itex])/∂x.

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    What's wrong with ∂(xy/z)/∂x? I checked it and it seems correct to me...

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4
    It's very important so all suggestions are welcome :)

6. Aug 8, 2012 #5
    Never mind. I hadn't scrolled all the way down, it is correct.

I believe you are having trouble calculating [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex]) and [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex]) (Let me know if this is not the case).
    To simplify this, get rid of s and t by writing [itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex] and [itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex] as partial derivatives of [itex]\rho[/itex] w.r.t. x, y and z, using the chain rule. Since you know how s and t depend on x, y and z, this can be done.

Once you have done this, calculating [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂s[/itex]) and [itex]\frac{∂}{∂z}[/itex]([itex]∂\rho/∂t[/itex]) would be straightforward.

7. Aug 8, 2012 #6
    I got it finally :smile: Thaks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook