Finding Partial Derivatives with Independent Variables

In summary: You could look up Euler-Lagrange equations or Calculus of Variations, but the idea here is to just treat ##x## and ##\dot x## as independent variables.
justwild

Homework Statement

A function f(x,t) depends on position x and time t independent variables. And if [itex]\dot{f}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{df(x,t)}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], then find the value of [itex]\frac{\partial\dot{f}}{\partial\dot{x}}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula for total differential I can have
[itex]\dot{f}[/itex] = f[itex]_{x}[/itex][itex]\dot{x}[/itex] + f[itex]_{t}[/itex]
Now when I proceed with differentiating partially the above equation wrt [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] I am struck.

Physics news on Phys.org
justwild said:

Homework Statement

A function f(x,t) depends on position x and time t independent variables. And if [itex]\dot{f}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{df(x,t)}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], then find the value of [itex]\frac{\partial\dot{f}}{\partial\dot{x}}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula for total differential I can have
[itex]\dot{f}[/itex] = f[itex]_{x}[/itex][itex]\dot{x}[/itex] + f[itex]_{t}[/itex]
Now when I proceed with differentiating partially the above equation wrt [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] I am struck.

Well, ##f(x,t)## doesn't depend on ##\dot x##, so ##f_x## and ##f_t## don't depend on ##\dot x## either.

Dick said:
Well, ##f(x,t)## doesn't depend on ##\dot x##, so ##f_x## and ##f_t## don't depend on ##\dot x## either.

So, I will get the answer as ##f_x##. It's right.

But I didn't understand why. Can you give me a reference? I would like to read more on this.

justwild said:

But I didn't understand why. Can you give me a reference? I would like to read more on this.

Why do you say it is right? Is somebody telling you that?

justwild said:

You could look up Euler-Lagrange equations or Calculus of Variations, but the idea here is to just treat ##x## and ##\dot x## as independent variables.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariate calculus to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its input variables. It is denoted by ∂ (partial symbol) and is used when a function has more than one input variable.

2. When do we use partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used when studying the behavior of a function in relation to one of its input variables, while keeping the other input variables constant. They are commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to analyze the rate of change of a system in different directions.

3. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you need to take the derivative of a function with respect to one of its input variables, treating all other variables as constants. This is done by applying the usual rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule, to each term in the function.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative is the number of input variables involved. While a partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, an ordinary derivative measures the rate of change with respect to a single variable.

5. How are partial derivatives used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in many real-world applications, such as optimization problems in economics and engineering, determining the direction of steepest ascent or descent in a system, and calculating marginal effects in statistics. They are also commonly used in computer graphics to calculate slopes and rates of change for smooth animations.