1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative problem

1. Feb 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A function f(x,t) depends on position x and time t independent variables. And if [itex]\dot{f}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{df(x,t)}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] represents [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], then find the value of [itex]\frac{\partial\dot{f}}{\partial\dot{x}}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the formula for total differential I can have
    [itex]\dot{f}[/itex] = f[itex]_{x}[/itex][itex]\dot{x}[/itex] + f[itex]_{t}[/itex]
    Now when I proceed with differentiating partially the above equation wrt [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] I am struck.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ##f(x,t)## doesn't depend on ##\dot x##, so ##f_x## and ##f_t## don't depend on ##\dot x## either.

4. Feb 9, 2014 #3
    So, I will get the answer as ##f_x##. It's right.

But I didn't understand why. Can you give me a reference? I would like to read more on this.

5. Feb 9, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you say it is right? Is somebody telling you that?

6. Feb 9, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could look up Euler-Lagrange equations or Calculus of Variations, but the idea here is to just treat ##x## and ##\dot x## as independent variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted