1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative q

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    In determining if a function is exact, here is the question. If V=V(T,P) and PV+RT, show that dV = R/PdT - RT/P2 dP. Is dV an exact differential?
    Do I go about by taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T, etc? I know this is not a difficult function, but I just want to make sure I'm approaching it correctly.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are several things aobut your post that I do not understand.

I know what it means for a differential to be exact, but don't know what it means for a function to be exact. Are you talking about a differential?

Also you say "if V= V(T,P) and PV+RT". Okay, V= V(T,P) is a complete statement- it says that V is function of T and P. But "PV+ RT" is not a complete statement. What about PV+ RT? Is something missing? Was it supposed to be PV+ RT= something?

Finally, you talk about "taking the derivative of R/PdT with respect to T" but that already is a differential, Don't you mean to diffentiate an equation involving V?

If PV+ RT= some function, then P dV+ VdP+ dRT+ RdT= the derivative of that function. In particular, if PV+ RT= constant, and R is held constant, then PdV+ VdP+ RdT= 0 so that PdV= RdT- VdP and then
    dV= RdT/P- (V/P)dP. Now that would be what you give IF V/P= RT/P2 (I assume that your P2 was intended to be P2) or
    V= RT/P.

Now, although you didn't say anything about it, I remember that for an "ideal gas", PV= nRT where R is a constant. If THAT is what you are talking about, then, yes, dV = (R/P)dT - (RT/P2)dP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?