Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivative question

1. May 8, 2004 #1
    We went over this breifly in class and i'm confused on it. Were doing first order only and this is the problem: z = 3x^2*y^3*e^(5x-3y) + ln(2x^2 + 3y^3) I know your susposed to Fx(x,y) and treat X or Y as a constant, depending, upon how you want to start, but i'm still unclear as to how to solve this.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2004 #2
    Well you know how to find an ordinary derivative, so if you need to get Fx, replace y by something else, like a or 17 or pi or whatever, then find the x derivative.

4. May 8, 2004 #3
    So you just single each variable out and thats it?

5. May 8, 2004 #4
    You treat the variable you are not differentiating with respect to as any other constant, and then you differentiate normally.

Setting the variable equal to 17 or pi or something would probably confuse lots of people, though...

cookiemonster

6. May 8, 2004 #5
    yeah i was confused by that.

7. May 8, 2004 #6
    yeah that's it. Fix one (pretend it's constant), differentiate with respect to the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?